New Model 70 Coyote

jon12

I just got my new model 70 coyote in 270 WSM yesterday. I shot it today mostly just to get a feel for the kick and start to break the barrel in, i couldnt really tell how accurate its gunna be since the trigger is extremely heavy. The best of the four or so groups that were shot besides getting a rough hundred yard zero was 1 1/4" with 130 win ballsitic silvertip, which i was actually more than happy with considering the trigger, but i think and hope it will do considerably better, especially with handloads. It feels crisp with no travel, just heavy, so i think it will be fine once its adjusted...but...

I got home and tried to take the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger and with the action screws out, i could not budge the action. Tried to holt the action and hit the top of the butt stock with the palm of my hand to break it lose, and tried to hold the stock and push on the barrel, but i couldnt get the action out of the stock. Whats the deal and what can i do? Ive heard of little globs of bedding stuff in these guns, would that be holding it in that tight?

I do have a couple of other questions.

The safety is pretty stiff too, particularly going from fire to the middle position. Is this normal and will it loosen up with use, or what??

Is it supposed to be free floating? This one isnt. There looks to be plenty of clearence around the sides of the barrel, and i can push a dollar through under the barrel just in front of the receiver and move it toward the muzzle a couple inches, but the front few inches on foreend contacts the barrel pretty solid. Should i have it free floated? If i have wood taken out so the barrel doesnt contact and try to reseal the barrel channel, will it still be esentially a laminated stock or will this allow to moisture to get in and swell the wood like a regular wood stock?

I know its long but i would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jon,

Im not sure it that gun is factory bedded, but thats the only thing i can think of that would hold it, if you have a freezer bigg enough leave the gun in there for a few hours, and you should be able to pry the action off, If it doesn't call winchester, and let them deal with it, as for the barrel, it should be free floated at least 1/8", 1/4" is better.
Brian

Jon,
Winchester puts a glob of bedding material in the lug recess and possibly in the area of the tang. The newest material that they are using is black and sets up very hard. The earlier material was yellowish and more glue-like, it was usually not really hard to the touch.
I suggest that you put a hair dryer on the reciever area for several minutes and heat up the metal, then try to rock the action very slightly until it can be lifted straight up. Assuming that you have all three action bolts removed the barreled receiver should come out.

The M-70 trigger is easily lightened, just back off the two little nuts a bit at a time. Check the final setting by slamming the bolt shut, ensure that the firing pin stays cocked. Suggest try to get it to about 3 lbs anything below that get a gunsmith to do.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts