New Model 70 Cocking Cam Problems

Just got off the phone with Winchester/Browning. They said that all models exhibit this to some degree and that my model just appears to be on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. They said the two parts should mate and stop wearing. Not really sure what to do now. Might be normal to them, but seems abnormal to me. Guess I'll sleep on it. Thank you all for the posts and help.

I've got several thousand rounds through this gun. It does not show nearly the wear yours does. The shroud release lever is making a ditch of its own... Sorry, but it is super hard for me to tell you what's happening without being able to see it. Looks like the shroud assembly will have to be replaced. (I think I know what's wrong, it's super hard to fix on these new model 70's)

If you live around here, you can bring it over and we will get it figured out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 127
Just got off the phone with Winchester/Browning. They said that all models exhibit this to some degree and that my model just appears to be on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. They said the two parts should mate and stop wearing. Not really sure what to do now. Might be normal to them, but seems abnormal to me. Guess I'll sleep on it. Thank you all for the posts and help.

They are not going to "mate up"

They are going to "f* up" and the bolt shroud is going to unscrew itself at the most In opportune time.

I said that I think I know what is causing this, so I tested my idea on my own model.

I am sticking with a really long winded answer that ends in the shroud. And this can turn into a potentially deadly problem of the firing pin releasing itself after the bolt is lifted.

I don't think it would be deadly, unless I'm missing something. If I understand it correctly they are partially designed to cock the final bit on closing, so if it doesn't get pulled back as far it would just be held back by the sear as you are closing the bolt.

It's more that I am surprised they say this is the proper amount of wear. It may very well stop here, but still not sure how well that sits with me. Should have bought the CZ 550, but I wanted something all weather. Oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.