New Mobile Ballistics Calculator

Brian, thanks for the reply, I think I mis stated what I was really asking though, when I sight in my rifle and chronograph it I do it at approx. 5000 ft and when I hunt it's usually between 8000 and 11000 ft I realize my zero won't really change but my velocity will given the change in the air will this calculator give me a way to approximate my velocity at theese elevations without having to chronograph it while at said elevations as I understand it at higher elevations my bullet should move considerably faster thus shifting my point of impact at long distance Thanks, Jake

I'm with you now Jake (sorry for my previous irrelevant rambling)

The altitude will not really affect your muzzle velocity, but the air temperature difference might affect it if you're using a powder that's sensitive to ambient temperature.

The bullet will retain velocity much better at high altitude, and MOBALL certainly does account for that affect on the bullets flight.

The only program that I know of that accounts for the effects of temperature on muzzle velocity is Load Base. I don't know of any that account for altitude effect on MV because frankly, altitude itself doesn't affect MV.

I hope I answered your question this time :)

-Bryan

By popular request, I've added the option to use meters/MILS in MOBALL.

MOBALL

On discussing it with several shooters who requested metric, it turns out that most of them didn't want complete metric (caliber in mm, bullet weight in grams, temp in Celsius, etc) but only the range and drop in meters and MILS.

MOBALL has been upgraded to accept range in meters (as well as yards) and output drop in cm and MILS (as well as inches and MOA).

-Bryan

Here's a testimonial I got recently from a MOBALL user:

Brian,
Yesterday I sighted in two loads with my 6.5x284 target rifle, one with 123gr SMKs and the other with 142gr SMKs. Elevation was 4170ft, 34 degrees F. I recorded muzzle velocity averages and noted that the cold barrel shot was 29fps slower than the average and the 2nd shot 12fps slower than average. Today I took it to a friends place who has gongs up to 1000yds. The elevation was only 1800ft so the atmospheric pressure read by my Kestral was quite different than from where I sighted in, as well as being warmer. I made the assumption that the 100yd zero would
be the same at both elevations. In the new conditions I had to resort to trial and error with the Moball computer to find a sight-in range that gave me the same
100yd point of impact as when I sighted in the previous day under different conditions.
The moment of truth was at hand. I decided to try it first at 1000yd. I input all of the conditions and used the G7 B.C. published in your book. For the first shot I dialed in the "cold barrel velocity" as being 29fps slower. To make a long story short I nailed the 1000yd gong, which is 26" in diameter, with the first shot, and the 2nd, and the 3rd, etc. I quit after 6 shots and no misses. This was with the 123gr SMK. I then went through the input process again with the 142gr SMK load, which during sight-in had produced an extreme spread of 5 and a SD of 2. I fired 3 rounds, all center hits, and then asked each of my spotters to try a shot. The resulting 5 shot group at 1000yd was perfectly centered and looked to be about a 5" group.
Several hours later We tested the rifle and your ballistics at rocks on a far hillside, having an uphill elevation of up to 12 degrees. We shot at 772yds, at 1\2 mile [880 yd], and at 999yd. In all cases the elevation dialed in with the numbers produced by the Moball computer were perfect, We did have a little more trouble on the wind axis. The last shots of the day were at 999yd where I fired 2 shots and each of my spotters fired one.. All shots hit the rock which appeared to be about 9 inches in diameter. In conclusion I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am with the performance of Moball using all of the understanding and B.C.s provided by your book.

We all know that accurate long range shooting takes work and good equipment. First shot hits on distant targets are possible with proper preparation, and when the right tools are used for the job.

The MOBALL (MObile BALListics) computer is available here in the LR Hunting Gear Shop.

-Bryan

WOW, this is what I have been looking for...ballistics program for a machine with little to no RF signiture!!!!

I have a TI-89... is this software still available??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.