New MOA Maximum or modify a used one?

I am really wanting to own a MOA Maximum chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Mostly because my current long distance rifle is a 7mm Rem Mag and I love the caliber, ballistics, and already reload for that caliber.

Currently the MOA Maximum isn't building new pistols yet from what I understand, but are in the process of setting up to do so.

My question is whether or not I can buy a used MOA and have a 7mm Rem Mag barrel made for it? Is a barrel change all that would be required, or would the pistol have to be modified further?

My only other option is to wait until the MOA is back into production again. However I would really like to have one complete by December for Missouri's Alternative weapons season.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

I should have stated it, but what I want is a 1000 yard pistol. Maybe it isn't the MOA Maximum, but through viewing quite few threads it seemed like that was the cheaper option.

In my mind, spending somewhere around $1500 without a scope it was seems normal for 1000 yard pistol, but I'm sure you could spend alot more than that.

SouthMoHunter, I just returned from the MOA 1000 yard handgun shoot in Sundance, WY. There are three divisions -- light gun, heavy gun, and Hunter class -- and competition involves shooting at 500, 750, & 1000 yards. There are a lot of shooters using MOA's. Pat and Becky Auer won several events with their MOA in 6x47 and 6.5x47 Lapua. These handguns are very accurate. I hunt with an MOA in .308 Win. Regarding your 1000 yard endeavor -- the 7mm Mag will be a handful. After watching and seeing results of this interesting shooting event - I would have to say the 6.5x47 Lapua -- or similar cartridges such as the 260 Rem would be much easier on the mind/body for 1000 yard stuff as rifle scopes are the norm. Good luck in your quest.

Mark Hampton,

Thanks for the reply. When I looked at the MOA page the other day I realized the competition was this last weekend and was curious about the results.

I have thought quite a bit about the .308 option. I figured that with the right muzzle brake that if I could have one in 7mm Rem Mag the recoil would be pretty manageable. I just know that if I get something chambered in anything other than 7 Mag that I will likely have to change powders, primers, bullets, etc. on reloading and stocking up, which will add a lot of cost to buying a new gun.

After reading quite a few articles on here it seems like an XP100 could also be a great option. However, the overall cost to build one seems like it would go over $2000 pretty quick. So far though, I don't personally know anyone who has a long range pistol, and I haven't seen any for sale around my area. So I am just trying to digest all the articles I am reading and go from there.

Changing the barrel is not that difficult. Depending on rim size you will need a different extractor, spanner wrench and forearm depending on barrel contour. There are several in GB now not in the caliber you are looking for but a way to get started. Understand the new prices are going up so.....

I got your email but have been tied up with a long-range handgun only field shoot (prone and sitting with Bog-Gear or tripods) and prairie dog shoot this week.
WY-SHOT
I will get with you soon.

I have hunted and competed with the MOA and the XP.

I highly prefer the center-grip XP platform over the MOA

The XP is more reliable, faster to reload, and easier for me to shoot off-hand (with the center-grip design) with big game hunting cartridges.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Improved MOA, and then I have another MOA that has a 6.5-284 barrel and 6-284 barrel.
I have the switch barrel one for sale, and I would sell the 7 RM Improved (I think).

Ernie,

Thanks for the information and advice.

You have me thinking I should look a lot harder at an XP now. The main purpose I have for wanting a long range pistol is definitely hunting. I don't shoot competitively at all. I target practice and hunt. So I could see how easier follow up shots would be beneficial. Many of the places I hunt have shots that range between 300 - 800 yards, with game often being seen as far as 1200 yards. If 7mm Rem Mag isn't an option, then I think I would look at possibly .308 as my second choice. I know that .308 would be a lot easier to get brass, primers, bullets, dies, etc. for.

I worry about using one of the other .284 caliber's out there most due to finding brass and reloading components as easily. Is 7mm Rem Mag a realistic caliber for an XP, or should I look more towards a .308?

The only place that I am seeing any XP's for sale is on GunBroker. Is there a better place to come up with a pistol or action to build off of?

7 Rem Mag would work fine, as would the 284 Winchester, 280 AI, 7 LRM, 7mm Dakota, 7mm WSM, etc...
A big 30 cal would work great too, but I sure wouldn't use a 308 Win SP for elk at 800 yards.
If you are going to do a build, find your brass first.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.