New Mexico bans the use of scopes

That's impressive!! The average hunter is probably limited to about 84gr I'm
not sure on that though For a standard 50 cal .I've got a paramount pro in 45cal and run 115 by weight of 209.The energy is there for a clean kill but my God the drop when you get out there is crazy.
You should try shooting 1k laying in wet grass on a shooting mat and using cross sticks. Yup, cross sticks, no rear support. Then add a fishtailing wind at 10mph blowing at you.
Muzzleloading is fun..............

I'm jazzed that New Mexico changed the rule. It might, might, improve the draw odds for me. If I get to hunt rutting elk, sign me up. I can stand at "full draw" with my Thompson renegade for a LOT longer than I can with my bow and my effective range is doubled.

I hope this discourages folks from applying.

You guys need to remember that NM is run by rabid leftists and when our idiot governor was elected, she completely cleared the Game Commission of folks who were used to governing by science, not emotion.

Even the New Mexico Wildlife Federation is in bed with the anti's. They seem to be heading this state into one where only the wealthy can hunt.

All of the rational thinking y'all are presenting is useless in the face of the elites who are running this show.

Rant off...

Ed

This is true in Muzzle loader hunts but they are allowed in any SHORT RANGE hunts, which in it's self if quit interesting, SHORT RANGE!!
I get what you're saying. I'll bet you could contest that, since the short range classification is only for certain parts of Unit 32. Maybe they've opened it up, not sure.

Cut down the tags and raise the price! I seen enough wound animal, from poor shooting. I heard some many bad stories, while being flat on my back in a hospital a few months back. An area in Montana during rifle season people were shooting antelope wounding them and not checking if they hit or not, and long range. Some Long Range Hunter did some checking there and finish up several animals. My hats off to them.
If I had been there, I would have called the Gameward in. Got info on who and what had happen.
SAD!

You guys need to remember that NM is run by rabid leftists and when our idiot governor was elected, she completely cleared the Game Commission of folks who were used to governing by science, not emotion.

Even the New Mexico Wildlife Federation is in bed with the anti's. They seem to be heading this state into one where only the wealthy can hunt.

All of the rational thinking y'all are presenting is useless in the face of the elites who are running this show.

Rant off...

Ed
I stop funding any Wildlife Federation a long time ago. I found they were not what they claim to be. Leftist.

I had a chance to talk to a guide in NM who lives near and guides primarily in unit 17 which has been restricted to muzzleloader or archery only for years. (It is considered the best trophy bull elk unit in the state) He said his father was a guide in this unit as well. As a young man he saw huge bulls. The bulls seen in unit 17 today are smaller and those found many years ago. He said due to the limitations of muzzleloaders in the past few bulls were taken so many grew to a huge size. He also said the current population of bulls would have been passed up for much larger one's years ago. He thinks the current bulls are conditioned to stay 400 yards or so away from hunters. He thinks this coming season will present a major challenge to anyone who hunts these bulls. Finally, he believes the bulls will once again be able to grow to huge sizes.

Recent Posts