New Mexico bans the use of scopes

FrontierGander

This is what happens when the modern industry touts 500- 600 - 800 yard shots with scoped muzzle loaders.

Thinking there is more to it. They claim the muzzleloaders are too successful. They either reduce the number of tags or reduce the chances of harvesting an animal. Money won another one. They get the revenue and have more elk.

Have to wonder how the 17,000 muzzleloader hunters are going to react?
(See article mentioning the number of hunters)

I found this comment from the article lame:
"Liley said he expects that loss of animals to wounding by muzzleloaders may decrease under the prohibition against scoped muzzleloaders. Although scopes allow hunters to hit animals at long range, he said the animals may not give any indication that they've been hit so hunters may not follow up all their shots."

There are many older shooters, including me, that cannot focus on iron sights especially the rear sight. Unless there is some sort of accommodation then I won't be doing it anymore. There is some possible relief found in the article:
"Jesse Deubel, executive director of the New Mexico Wildlife Federation, said the group supports the prohibition of scopes on muzzleloaders. He said the NMWF focuses on providing more hunting opportunity for resident hunters. Deubel noted that the game department director has authority to provide reasonable accommodation to hunters with documented vision issues." Time will tell.

Thinking there is more to it. They claim the muzzleloaders are too successful. They either reduce the number of tags or reduce the chances of harvesting an animal. Money won another one. They get the revenue and have more elk.

Have to wonder how the 17,000 muzzleloader hunters are going to react?
(See article mentioning the number of hunters)

I found this comment from the article lame:
"Liley said he expects that loss of animals to wounding by muzzleloaders may decrease under the prohibition against scoped muzzleloaders. Although scopes allow hunters to hit animals at long range, he said the animals may not give any indication that they've been hit so hunters may not follow up all their shots."

There are many older shooters, including me, that cannot focus on iron sights especially the rear sight. Unless there is some sort of accommodation then I won't be doing it anymore. There is some possible relief found in the article:
"Jesse Deubel, executive director of the New Mexico Wildlife Federation, said the group supports the prohibition of scopes on muzzleloaders. He said the NMWF focuses on providing more hunting opportunity for resident hunters. Deubel noted that the game department director has authority to provide reasonable accommodation to hunters with documented vision issues." Time will tell.

A lot of ML bullets do not exit big animals like elk and moose, resulting in lost game. At long range with a scope, this phenomenon only increases. There is a distance one should not take a shot with a muzzleloader, even if one is confident of placement because of the terminal ballistics of a muzzleloader projectile.

GOOD! muzzle loader is supposed to be a PRIMITIVE weapon. We've basically turned them into single shot rifles capable of 800 yards. If you want to shoot 800 get a rifle tag. If you want to shoot a primitive weapon (usually during better dates, like the rut) then use a primitive weapon. I don't see how someone wouldn't support this. Colorado has it right with their ML regulations.

GOOD! muzzle loader is supposed to be a PRIMITIVE weapon. We've basically turned them into single shot rifles capable of 800 yards. If you want to shoot 800 get a rifle tag. If you want to shoot a primitive weapon (usually during better dates, like the rut) then use a primitive weapon. I don't see how someone wouldn't support this. Colorado has it right with their ML regulations.

You do realize that people have been using scoped muzzleloaders to take game at extended range for over 150 years right? All this does is allow the state to sell more tags while killing less elk and the fact that they didn't allow red dots or 1x scopes, which allow for more accurate shot placement rather than add effective range, just proves it.

You do realize that people have been using scoped muzzleloaders to take game at extended range for over 150 years right? All this does is allow the state to sell more tags while killing less elk and the fact that they didn't allow red dots or 1x scopes, which allow for more accurate shot placement rather than add effective range, just proves it.
You can always find an exception to everything if you look hard enough. You show me a muzzleloader from 150 years ago, that Joe blow hunter can pick up and shoot that can that compete with a gunwerks muzzleloader from today and I'll buy you a beer. The whole point of archery, and ML seasons are that they are primitive weapons. That's why they are during the rut and usually the seasons are longer. I'm all for being open to technology, but at some point we all have to say enough is enough.

I tend to agree with it as I can shoot mine out to 600 yards with a scope and hold MOA but I hunt in CO so I have to use open sights which limits me to ~300 yards, which in my opinion is what most weekend warrior hunters are capable with a rifle. CO also has a section that allows visually impaired hunters to use a scope on a ML.
As far as bullets and wounding goes I saw 3 animals lost this season because the hit wasn't seen thru the smoke and no blood was found as the .50 cal bullets(required for elk in CO) did not exit. I have yet to have a bullet pass thru with a 330 grain bullet at 2,380 fps but that is another subject. Modern muzzleloaders are as primitive as crossbows compared to a recurve.

I wonder if it's the smokeless ml that are the issue.
I can see the smokeless muzzleloaders having a negative affect on what's supposed to be alternative/primitive part of the season. Those things are the closest thing to a center fire rifle without it being that.

This is what happens when the modern industry touts 500- 600 - 800 yard shots with scoped muzzle loaders.
Or will this reduce the amount of kills, or leave more wounded elk to run off and die later and rot, some people only know what they read in books. No common sense