New Mexico 2019 - What did you draw?

thumbnail_20191005_092449.jpg
This is my first Elk hunt. At 61 years old I didn't want to take a chance of a draw since I figured my chances were slim to none. That being said, I booked a New Mexico hunt with Rancho Rojo Outfitters on private land. I can't wait as this is not just a bucket list item but a dream hunt.
Well here is the result of my first ever elk hunt. 3 hours into the first day. 3rd bull I looked at that morning. Heard him bugle as we entered a disked wheat field . My guide bugled back and we saw him about 1/2 mile away in a pine and juniper hillside. My guide then hit him with a cow call and he came trotting down the hillside to another small pine thicket. There was a fence there and we thought he was going to show up and hop the fence to us but never did. Had the fence ranged out at 285yds. We waited and cow called a couple more times. After about 10 minutes we thought he may have bedded in that thicket. All of the sudden to our right I saw ivory tipped tines approaching from a bowel in the field at about 75 yards. He tried to circle us to get down wind but never got far enough to wind us. Only a 50 yard shot. I know he's no monster but I've always been a believer of "never pass on the first day what you would hope for on the last day." About 450 lbs. of butchered boned elk meat in the freezer and a memory to last the rest of my life. Now I can hold out of a big one next year.

Last edited:
I have 3 land owner tags just minutes outside of Cimarron for the 10th-14th of Nov. Can't go now, found out I had cancer in one of my tonsils in Sept. and now having surgery on Nov. 8th. Doctors say I will be fine, and live a full normal life afterwards. Ranch is holding my deposits for next year, so for now hunting the little Asian Elk that we have in Maryland ( Sika deer) Good luck to everyone. I believe the week I had on the ranch is still open 3400.00 a person

I have 3 land owner tags just minutes outside of Cimarron for the 10th-14th of Nov. Can't go now, found out I had cancer in one of my tonsils in Sept. and now having surgery on Nov. 8th. Doctors say I will be fine, and live a full normal life afterwards. Ranch is holding my deposits for next year, so for now hunting the little Asian Elk that we have in Maryland ( Sika deer) Good luck to everyone. I believe the week I had on the ranch is still open 3400.00 a person
Wow, good luck with your surgery.

So sorry to hear that , I will put you on my daily prayer list , let us know when the surgery is scheduled . God bless and protect you Sir .
Floyd

I did not draw any hunts out west this year but booked a quick trip up o Oklahoma for a whitetail hunt December 1-7th . It is unfortunate but I do not know how to post pics on this site , I'm an OLD GUY !! :))

I did not draw any hunts out west this year but booked a quick trip up o Oklahoma for a whitetail hunt December 1-7th . It is unfortunate but I do not know how to post pics on this site , I'm an OLD GUY !! :))
You must have your photos in a file on your computer. Once they are there you just click on the "upload a file" tab below this box and choose what photo you want to use from it's location. Once you choose and click on it you will have the option to either download it as a thumbnail [small photo] or a full size photo. after that just type in any caption and hit Post Reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.