New memeber and lets start with a Sako Question!

ShortBBL

Hi Guys! I'm far from "new" to the shooting/hunting world, having hunted for the past 35 years or so. I loved deer and antelope hunting, but have taken a break from it for the last 10 years, because of some things in my life that made me take another course..... (Moved to Russia, got remarried, etc etc).

Anyway... for about 20 years, I used a Left Hand Sako A5 in 25-05 and did very well with it. I'd say my longest deer or antelope kill was around 500-550 yards. Anyway, sadly, my sisters husband caught me in the right mood and talked me into trading it to him. Long story short... I need a new rifle as I want to get back into hunting/shooting rifles! My main game will be Deer and Antelope, but I might like to try for Elk one of these days.

I'm wanting a gun that can shoot up to 1000 yards but KILL deer/elk up to 6-700 yards. I doubt I'd have a need to shoot game further, but I guess one never knows!

So, being a Left Handed guy, my choices are limited a bit..... and I can't spend several thousand on a setup... maybe up to $1500-2000 MAX!

I found a LH Sako 338 Win Mag and wanted to get ideas on that cartride firstly.... is it overkill for deer at long range? I'd have to be super careful where I hit one at closer ranges... as I have seen the mayhem of a deer hit by a 338 at 100 yards! Ouch... Hamburger anyone?

Next... is the Sako AV an action that anyone likes these days or are there better choices? I am thinking i can get this new Sako 338 for $1000 or less (hopefully) but will pass if it's not the best action. I know Rem 700's are available, and Weatherby, Ruger, Browning and Savage.. I am not too excited about Savage, but the others maybe.

Give me some ideas! Should I try an XBolt in 270WSM? Or 300WSM? Are the new XBOLTs any good? What about Rugers or 700 CDL's?

I haven't bought a new bolt gun in 30 years, so your thoughts on this will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Guys! I'm far from "new" to the shooting/hunting world, having hunted for the past 35 years or so. I loved deer and antelope hunting, but have taken a break from it for the last 10 years, because of some things in my life that made me take another course..... (Moved to Russia, got remarried, etc etc).

Anyway... for about 20 years, I used a Left Hand Sako A5 in 25-05 and did very well with it. I'd say my longest deer or antelope kill was around 500-550 yards. Anyway, sadly, my sisters husband caught me in the right mood and talked me into trading it to him. Long story short... I need a new rifle as I want to get back into hunting/shooting rifles! My main game will be Deer and Antelope, but I might like to try for Elk one of these days.

I'm wanting a gun that can shoot up to 1000 yards but KILL deer/elk up to 6-700 yards. I doubt I'd have a need to shoot game further, but I guess one never knows!

So, being a Left Handed guy, my choices are limited a bit..... and I can't spend several thousand on a setup... maybe up to $1500-2000 MAX!

I found a LH Sako 338 Win Mag and wanted to get ideas on that cartride firstly.... is it overkill for deer at long range? I'd have to be super careful where I hit one at closer ranges... as I have seen the mayhem of a deer hit by a 338 at 100 yards! Ouch... Hamburger anyone?

Next... is the Sako AV an action that anyone likes these days or are there better choices? I am thinking i can get this new Sako 338 for $1000 or less (hopefully) but will pass if it's not the best action. I know Rem 700's are available, and Weatherby, Ruger, Browning and Savage.. I am not too excited about Savage, but the others maybe.

Give me some ideas! Should I try an XBolt in 270WSM? Or 300WSM? Are the new XBOLTs any good? What about Rugers or 700 CDL's?

I haven't bought a new bolt gun in 30 years, so your thoughts on this will be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Welcome.

I've never seen a SAKO that wouldn't shoot MOA or better out of the box. They are just extremely well made rifles.

.338 is more than you NEED, but will most certainly do everything you are hoping to do with some power to spare.

Check the classifieds here, also check Auction Arms and Gunbroker. A 7mm Mag, 7mm STW, or 300 wm or 300 Rum will also all meet your needs within your parameters.

The Sako is one of the best factory rifles. You cant go wrong. Ditch the 338 as it is overkill in the recoil dept. And lore than you need for what you describe. I would go with something in the 7mm or .30 cal groups as said above.

My son is a lefty and after alot of research Savage seamed to be the most readily found for lefty's. Dont think for a minute that Savage isnt something to get excited about. Go buy whatever you want and when you show up at the range and when the guy next you clowns you with his "Cheap Savage" you can chalk that one up as a lesson learne d. They have passed up Win. Rem. Browning in my eyes. I highly recommend looking into one and putting a top notch scope on it to fit into your budget range.

I agree with the previous posters, the 338 is a bit overkill.

All the rifles listed, will shoot good enough for your needs. I have a Savage in 300WSM that will shoot 1/2 MOA anytime., but I have a bias towards the Rem 700, as it just 'feels' better to me.

If I didn't have a safe full of rifles already and was buying my first one, I'd get a Rem 700 in 300Wsm or 7mm Rem Mag and top it with a Leupold 4.5x14x40. I wouldn't be afraid to hunt anything in the lower 48 with it. I'd probably put a Timney trigger in it as well.

AJ

Sako and Tikkas are both well known for their accuracy. The poster just prior to me who put up that 280AI is just mean! That would work for what you are looking for!!

The 280 Remington or 280AI, or the 300 WSM would all be good cartridges for what you are looking for. Not much bad to say about a 30-06 either for your what you want to hunt.

Well, I know the 338 has way more power than I will need... but if I can get this brand new Sako LH for under $1000, maybe it would be worth it to have it rebarrelled as a 300 win mag or 7 mag? What does that cost these days?

Also, I know the savages are great shooting... I wish they looked as good as they shoot.

Thanks for the comments!

Well, I know the 338 has way more power than I will need... but if I can get this brand new Sako LH for under $1000, maybe it would be worth it to have it rebarrelled as a 300 win mag or 7 mag? What does that cost these days?

Also, I know the savages are great shooting... I wish they looked as good as they shoot.

Thanks for the comments!
To get it done right including truing the action (Sako won't need much) if you sent it directly to Kreiger would run you 600-800.00 .

By the time you do th at, some of the nice custom rigs available on the classifieds here at LRH get awfully appealing.

If you spend a grand on the gun that only leaves you $500 for the scope. That much is not much for quality glass. Look hard for a Tikka if you are stuck on a Sako product. My wife is also a lefty and she shoots a Tikka T3 in 25-06 and bith heesand my sons will shoot sub moa easily. My Sako shoots sub half moa, just barely edgeing them out. I am not trying to talk you out of the Sako. That would be dumb of me. I am trying to talk you into a better scope!

I also love Sako rifles. I have a TRG 22 in 260 Rem and have fallen in love with the caliber. It is an awesome round for whitetail and antelope out to several hundred yards. It is also very easy to shoot well, little recoil, and 6.5's have proven killing power on all sorts of critters (6.5x55 Mauser).

I was looking for a lighter weight 260 for hunting purposes and could not get excited about a Remington or Savage. There is just something about that slick, short bolt throw of a Sako! I found a Sako 85 Hunter in 260 Rem at Eurooptic new for $1200. I plan on putting a SWFA SS 3-9 FFP scope with mil-quad reticle for $599 and calling it done. I would feel comfortable taking a shot out to 700 yards in good conditions with this setup at deer if it shoots anything close to my TRG.

Use JBM ballistics and compare wind drift, retained energy, and trajectory. Then use one of the recoil calculators to look at free recoil, a very impressive combination. I am not recoil shy (shoot 3.5inch 12 ga magnum turkey loads and 45-70) but the 260 is just so easy to shoot. And it's fun to practice with at long range and in all sorts of environmental conditions, highly recommended. I shot mine out to 1205 yards yesterday.

PGS on Snipershide has killed some good size Elk and mule deer with his 260. Do a google search for his excellent pics.

I also love Sako rifles. I have a TRG 22 in 260 Rem and have fallen in love with the caliber. It is an awesome round for whitetail and antelope out to several hundred yards. It is also very easy to shoot well, little recoil, and 6.5's have proven killing power on all sorts of critters (6.5x55 Mauser).

I was looking for a lighter weight 260 for hunting purposes and could not get excited about a Remington or Savage. There is just something about that slick, short bolt throw of a Sako! I found a Sako 85 Hunter in 260 Rem at Eurooptic new for $1200. I plan on putting a SWFA SS 3-9 FFP scope with mil-quad reticle for $599 and calling it done. I would feel comfortable taking a shot out to 700 yards in good conditions with this setup at deer if it shoots anything close to my TRG.

Use JBM ballistics and compare wind drift, retained energy, and trajectory. Then use one of the recoil calculators to look at free recoil, a very impressive combination. I am not recoil shy (shoot 3.5inch 12 ga magnum turkey loads and 45-70) but the 260 is just so easy to shoot. And it's fun to practice with at long range and in all sorts of environmental conditions, highly recommended. I shot mine out to 1205 yards yesterday.

PGS on Snipershide has killed some good size Elk and mule deer with his 260. Do a google search for his excellent pics.

This guy is LEFT HANDED so he only has 3 options, sako av action (roughly $1100-1200 just for an action with trigger), sako 75 (about the same but a better action), or an old L591. Sako 85's don't come in any left hand option. Neitger do trg's. There is a big difference in a t3 and a sako. T3's are a cast reciever and sako 75 is milled out of chromolly (stronger than stainless) . I've done all this research before. I would sell just the gun I posted before for $1900 if that's what your looking for. Try to find a left hand sako action or gun? Its hard as hell! Take it from someone who knows!

My bad, I did not realize the newer Sakos were not made in a LH action! Good luck finding an older action...

Savage may be the easiest brand to get in a LH action without breaking the bank. As far as caliber, they do offer several in 260 rem.

This guy is LEFT HANDED so he only has 3 options, sako av action (roughly $1100-1200 just for an action with trigger), sako 75 (about the same but a better action), or an old L591. Sako 85's don't come in any left hand option. Neitger do trg's. There is a big difference in a t3 and a sako. T3's are a cast reciever and sako 75 is milled out of chromolly (stronger than stainless) . I've done all this research before. I would sell just the gun I posted before for $1900 if that's what your looking for. Try to find a left hand sako action or gun? Its hard as hell! Take it from someone who knows!

Yeah, for Sako, I am limited and yes, they are getting tough to find. I should have kept my 25-06!! I may look at other makes, but I just liked my Sako a lot! If the one I am looking at was on a '06 size action, I'd just buy it and probably eventually rebarrel it!

So if you can't buy a decent scope for $500... what scope do you guys recommend and what price range are we talkin? Man... I did some awesome killin with my old Vari x II 3-9 from about 1985!! Now I need a lot better? Ouch.

Yeah, for Sako, I am limited and yes, they are getting tough to find. I should have kept my 25-06!! I may look at other makes, but I just liked my Sako a lot! If the one I am looking at was on a '06 size action, I'd just buy it and probably eventually rebarrel it!

So if you can't buy a decent scope for $500... what scope do you guys recommend and what price range are we talkin? Man... I did some awesome killin with my old Vari x II 3-9 from about 1985!! Now I need a lot better? Ouch.

You kinda have a few choices to make. Either go the " good" rought and get a tikka or savage and put a $500 vortex viper hs lr on it and call it good ($1300) or get a sako action, and put a barrel and stock on it and a good scope and be in the $2500-3000 range or go full custom and be in the $3500-7000 range. I love my sako and it shoots excellent but I have decided to go the full custom rought. If you even buy a savage long range hunter in 260 or the like and put rings, scope, extra mag ect. Your at $2000 so its just gotten more expensive is all. My sako was a 25-06 to start and I rebarreled it. Good luck but I would honestly say for $2000 your not going to get what u want because if you find a left hand sako action you are going to want to just buy it and rebarrel it since there so hard to find. I only see 2-3 A YEAR on guns america or gunbroker. I just trying to help u out since I've done this a time or two with the sakos.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.