Elite Muzzleloader

First I want to say that I am a new member and have been reading the post from this site for about two weeks now and all I have to say is wow. One of my biggest passions is hunting and experimenting with new products out there that are in my budget. I love to shoot long range at target and game with my muzzleloader. I just sold my winchester Apex muzzleloader that I had zeroed to 300 yards shooting 110 grains Blackhorn 209 pushing a 200 grain shockwave. Now my groups out to that range were only 6 inches or so and once I get my new muzzleloader an Optima Elite 50 cal I would like to get my groups down to a smaller group size. Now I know this isn't a $3000 gun and not a custom gun but I know that I will be able to adjust it to fit my needs.

I have really enjoyed reading your posts and I hope that once I get my gun and start dialing it in I can pick at some of you for some of your great opinions and info.

Once again I know my gun isn't a high dollar gun but I love taking a cheap gun and proving that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a shooter. One day I might be able to save the money and spend it on a higher end gun but for now I work with what I have.

Thanks for your hospitality and I look forward to your opinions in the future.

Elite

Optima Elite 50 cal / 30 06

Welcome to the site...

Take your time learn as you go and collect the equipment little by little..before you know it you will be where you wanna be at...Until then study study study!

muzzleloaders are very accurate up to 100 yds............ bow and arrow up to 35 yds ........... centerfires if the hunter does his part 300 yds .......... hunting is getting close to the game so you can harvest the animal without wounding it and turning it into coyote food ......

there is nothing wrong with shooting your ML on the range at paper targets out to 300yds ..

Thanks for the welcomes and I look forward to everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Already bad news from my end first the good news the 30 06 barrel for my Optima Elite came in today. However the Optima Elite that I ordered through my local gun shop who said their supplier had 16 in stock didn't have any at all. So I have been trying to find one for sale on line or I am going to have the call the place where I ordered the barrel from to see if I can return it. I know I screw up by ordering the barrel before I had the actual gun but I didn't think I needed to worry since the local gun shop said they could get one.

Either way I found one on Gun Broker and just ordered the gun and hopefulley they have it and are not just saying they do. Either way I really hope this works out and I will be shooting in a couple months when the snow is gone.

"Black Powder" I appreciate your opinion and your opinion will be noted. However you do realize that you are on a long range hunting forum and I hope your not on here to upset other members because you stumbled upon a site that is "Long Range" and don't respect other people's comfortable shooting limits. I look forward to your comments and hope that you will respect other peoples and my comments as I will yours.

Thanks again for you welcomes to the site and I look forward to talking to all of you.

Elite

EM, welcome to LRH!!

EM, in my Optima Elite I have been using the 290gr. Barnes tipped sabot load & 110gr. BL 209 & 209M primer. The BC of the Barnes is quite good & I am very comfortable at 250 yds. at this point
with that load. I am going to work to improve that by a tad this spring.

As far as distances that are logical with a MZ or centerfire, that depends on the equipment, conditions & the driver. With a Centerfire, some folks with the right combination of all of those are much more capable at 700 yds. than the weekend 50yd. pie plate sight in warrior is at 100 yds.
That's why I find certain maximum yardages being the same for all is very unlearned at best.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.