bschroed

Hello Everyone,
New member here from Delaware. I'm originally from Pennsylvania where I began deer hunting in the mid 1970s. I retired in 2016 and went out west elk hunting for the first time in 2018. In prepping for that hunt I joined a local range in nearby Maryland that allows you to shoot out to 600 yards. I met a guy there (now a good friend) who introduced me to reloading. I never got a shot at an elk but I learned alot in the process of getting ready for the hunt. I still consider myself a newbie to long range shooting and reloading but I've been learning every year. I'm currently preparing for an elk hunt in Wyoming this fall if I get a license drawn. For my prior elk hunt I had loaded Nosler Accubonds in 7 mag using H1000. Last fall I went to Texas with my son on a deer hunt and I could not find any Accubonds in advance of the hunt so I switched to Hornady ELDX 162 gr and used H4350. We had good luck with that load on deer out to 200 yards. If I cannot find Accubonds within the next few months I am considering keeping the ELDX/H4350 load for this fall's potential elk hunt. Any thoughts on this load for elk? Average shot opportunity should be within 400 yards. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Looking forward to learning from everyone!
Bob Schroeder

Hello Everyone,
New member here from Delaware. I'm originally from Pennsylvania where I began deer hunting in the mid 1970s. I retired in 2016 and went out west elk hunting for the first time in 2018. In prepping for that hunt I joined a local range in nearby Maryland that allows you to shoot out to 600 yards. I met a guy there (now a good friend) who introduced me to reloading. I never got a shot at an elk but I learned alot in the process of getting ready for the hunt. I still consider myself a newbie to long range shooting and reloading but I've been learning every year. I'm currently preparing for an elk hunt in Wyoming this fall if I get a license drawn. For my prior elk hunt I had loaded Nosler Accubonds in 7 mag using H1000. Last fall I went to Texas with my son on a deer hunt and I could not find any Accubonds in advance of the hunt so I switched to Hornady ELDX 162 gr and used H4350. We had good luck with that load on deer out to 200 yards. If I cannot find Accubonds within the next few months I am considering keeping the ELDX/H4350 load for this fall's potential elk hunt. Any thoughts on this load for elk? Average shot opportunity should be within 400 yards. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Looking forward to learning from everyone!
Bob Schroeder
Greetings from the Big Sky Country! Welcome to LRH, and enjoy!

There is nothing wrong with your load. However, I prefer the M over the X. Good luck!

Ed

A big welcome from northern Maryland! Sounds like you have had some great experiences. Good luck drawing your elk tag for this falls Wyoming hunt! The H4350-ELDX load will work fine. Once you have a good load, It's all about the shot! Hit em in the heart - lungs with a quality bullet and they go down. Based on your zip code, we don't live too far apart. If I ever find some 160 gr Accubonds for myself, I'll pick up an extra box, and let you know. Then you can pick the bullet - load that suits you best.