new member with questions

twigzz88

Hello everybody new member here, been a longtime lurker though. Ive got quiet a few questions for you all so this may be long winded.

I just recieved a savage 110 in 7mm08 a caliber that will do what im wanting nicely i believe. Shoot and varmint hunt to 500 yds, and deer hunt to atleast 300 but betting i can stretch it too 500 on whitetails. My first question is asking suggestions on a varmint weightbarrel. Im wanting a 20-22 inch barrel in a varmint wght or light varmint. Any suggestions?ive seen er shaw has them, and i believe i can order a shilen to my specs.pros and cons of both? The last question is basically three parts. Im thinking im going with an egw base not sure if standard or 20 moa. What im hoping to do is run a 20 moa base with a mildot scope and be able to milover to reach 500 yds, is this possible? Will i have to hold under for anything closer than 200 yds?

I have no experience with either of the barrel brands you mentioned, but I would think both would be fine. I wouldn't think you would need a 20 MOA base if 500 yards will be your max distance, even with the 7mm-08 cartidge. You will need to know how much elevation adjustment your scope has to be sure.

Good Luck

dialing the yardage is the only accurate way for me. only one decimal place---- the difference between a 45$ barrel ( installed) and 450$ barrel is a like the difference between a 2500$ engine and 25000$ engine for your truck.

Well the way i was understanding..hornadayz ballistic calculator it read 2.2 mil hold for 500 yds. So is its my thinking i just come up a hair more than 2mildots to hit at 500. Does this sound correct or do i need to work on my understanding a better..im also giving a barrel switch to 6.5 creedmore a little more thought than keeping it the 08

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts