New Member, New Owner-TAC 15 Club

I have been reading this section for a while now. I just bought a TAC15 and have some questions.

Why don't they use flatheads where the two main parts bolt together? It seems sloppy to me with the current system.

The older threads use a QAD rest and the new threads have another version. Why doesn't PSE have this as an option already?

Does a scope have to be crossbow rated (much like an airgun with reverse recoil)?

What is better a reticle with aiming points or the HHA wheel?

What bolts are best, PSE or Firenock?

What happened to the quiver that I read about?

What is the difference between it and the Ordnance?

What are the specs?

It seems to have a lot of complaints about it in general but everyone seems to think that it is the best.

I'll take a shot at some of these...

I have been reading this section for a while now. I just bought a TAC15 and have some questions.

Why don't they use flatheads where the two main parts bolt together? It seems sloppy to me with the current system.

dunno

The older threads use a QAD rest and the new threads have another version. Why doesn't PSE have this as an option already?

dunno

Does a scope have to be crossbow rated (much like an airgun with reverse recoil)?

No. Any good scope will work.

What is better a reticle with aiming points or the HHA wheel?

Close range (0-40) - MilDot. Long range (40-100 yds): HHA.
Until they come out with a rangefinding scope for crossbows, this is the state of the art. Kinda clunky, but it works.

What bolts are best, PSE or Firenock?

I've found the PSE bolts accurate and robust. I've shot 23 through deer and have not broken a single one. That's steller in my book.

What happened to the quiver that I read about?

dunno

What is the difference between it and the Ordnance?

dunno

What are the specs?

425gr arrow at 400 fps (or thereabouts).

Hope that helps some!

I don't have a picture but should take one.
Mine is equipped thusly:
Stock Whisker Biscuit
Stock Hawke 2-7x mildot illuminated reticle scope
Timney Smallpin aftermarket trigger 3.5lb (recommend 3.0)
HHA Speed Dial
Forend pistol grip
stock bipod
high-intensity LED light on picatinny removable mount.
Stock PSE arrows
100gr Rocket Steelhead XL broadheads

I have no accessories. My lower has a two-stage match trigger and 6-position stock for the kiddos and wife. I was thinking a Harris bipod but now you got me thinking about a light for night time predator hunting so I might have to figure out some sort of extension for both.

So do you guys use a seperate quiver?

The quivers that are custom designed to fit the TAC15/15i crossbow were made by a company called New Dawn out of either North Carolina or Virginia. The New Dawn Quiver was produced for Vertical compound bows and was rated as probably the best quiver made in the industry.

The bracket that adapted it to the weaver rail of the TAC15 was custom produced by Super 91 in a machine shop. The combination of these two items was packaged and I believe that Len Backus has contractual rights as the sole distributor in the US. I'm not sure if they are still being made or not, but I own two of them and use them on both my Mathews Compound bow and my PSE TAC15i.

I highly recommend them, if you can still get one. They are made incredibly well and are indestructible, so they will last forever and are problem free. Once you see how easily they go on and come off you'll never use anything else.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.