New Member near Boise, Idaho

stevecrea

Hello to All

I am a new member living near Boise, Idaho.

I do a lot of varmint shooting, including jacks, rockchucks, and Townsend ground squirrels. This year, I may attempt a wolf. However, in general, I would like the wolves, except for their highly detrimental impact to game populations here in Idaho.

One of my favorite shooting pastimes is shooting Townsend ground squirrels with a .22 long rifle, sometimes at ranges up to 150 yards, so that is a bit of a challenge, and expecially in the winds that constantly blow around here.

Many years I will shoot 5,000 .22 LR rounds during the February to July squirrel season, and now, I am using a CZ 452 for this. I have had two of these previously, one in .22 LR, and one in .17 HMR. They are very high quality, accurate, with fine workmanship. I shot the .17 HMR so much, that after over 6,000 rounds, it seemed to lose its fine accuracy, so I traded it.

For several years, I shot many jacks with a Browning A-bolt in .223. And, I shot that fine little rifle so much that I shot its barrel out after over 6,000 rounds! And, it is my opinion that shooting jacks is probably about the best practice a rifleman can have, because you have everything from runners at close range to offhand shots at over 250 yards. You just cannot get much better practice with your scope and rifle combination than this.

And then, there are the rockchucks! A Tikka Model 595 in .223 does most of this, but I also use a .240 Weatherby, a Sako 25-06, and others. This is also excellent practice for a rifleman, because you get to dope the wind, estimate range, and sharpen your eyes and hunting skills to spot them and outsmart them. Again, it can be quite the challenge to hit a big old wily boar at 400 yards with a .223 in the wind!

I am looking forward to learning more and exchanging information with the forum.

fj40mojo:

Thank you for the welcome!

You must have an FJ40. I had a 1966 LC and it was a good machine! Poor heater and defroster, noisy, not very good mileage, but almost indestructible.

Now, I have a 1995 LandCruiser, and a 2000 Lexus LX470, so I have stayed in the Toyota fold.

fj40mojo:

You must have an FJ40. I had a 1966 LC and it was a good machine! Poor heater and defroster, noisy, not very good mileage, but almost indestructible.

Now, I have a 1995 LandCruiser, and a 2000 Lexus LX470, so I have stayed in the Toyota fold.

Used to, used to be active here in the NW Cruisers of ID too, but I let Tojo go to ride a Harley, don't have that anymore either. Kept the moniker cuzz it was easier than establishing a new identity. All gone now in favor of a family which I cherish. Still clinging to my guns and raising my boys to do the same. Some day I will have another Cruiser, can't afford it right now.

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum, I live near Anatone Washington, about 40 miles south of Lewiston Idaho. I do a lot of Rock chuck hunting on my property and enjoy it, I have been spending most of my gun time lately in Montana doing the 1000 yard bench rest shooting, I do a lot more reading here than posting, but will be looking for your future posts, I also hang out on 6br or (accurateshooting.com ) hope to talk again.gun)
Wayne

bozo699:

I do not recall that I have ever been to Anatone, although I was raised in Cottonwood, Idaho, and am generally familiar with most of the area. I have probably been to Asotin, and recently traveled to Joseph, OR via Halfway, last year to attend an art festival there. You live in God's Country!

Many years ago I elk hunted in Idaho with two gentlemen who hunted on the Imnaha River in Oregon, but that is still south of you quite a ways.

Where did you go in Montana for the 1000 yard shoot? And, what did you shoot as far as a rifle for that? How did you do?

All the best to you.

Steve,
I am not sure how you got to Joseph but if you went through Lewiston Idaho you went right by my place as you had to go through Asotin and Anatone, I live at the bottom of Rattlesnake grade about a mile from Boggans Osasis, a small restaurant on the banks of the Grande Ronde river in the middle of no where. While you were in Joseph you were about 60 miles from me. I have bought several saws and atv's from Buds saw shop in your home town of Cottonwood, and a local logger there is a good friend of mine, last name of Ross. The Imnaha is rough country to elk hunt in but beautiful country I have hunted it myself and it's not all that far really from me. I was in Missoula Montana at the Deep Creek range, I shot a 6*284 custom BR rifle there, wind was terrible but I won money on both relays on Saturday but didn't do as well Sunday, overall I did great,and thanks for asking. Do you have any good LR clubs there in Boise? I own a cattle ranch so I have no love for wolves, I plan on getting out of state and hunt wolves in Idaho this year myself, maybe up around Graingville somewhere, the liberal state I live in probably will never let you kill them. hope you have a good varmint year, keep in touch and I wish the best for you.gun)
[email protected]

Wayne.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.