New member - NE Texas / SW Arkansas

mitchparker1980

Hey all,
Just joined. I live in Texarkana (twice as nice USA) and wanted to introduce myself and say "hi". Been shooting for quite a few years and am hopeful to learn more about how I can hone my long range shooting. (Been a long time lurker on here).

Cheers,
M

Welcome from North-Central Wyoming, from a boy that grew up a bit south-east of you…. 25 miles north of BR! memtb

What got you up Wyoming way? Btw, how brutal are the winters? Recently applied for a gig up in Gillette, WY.

Mitch, from the time I was 10 or 12 years old, my dream was to live somewhere in the Northern Rockies, or Alaska…..especially Alaska.

A early in life marriage derailed my plans for a while. In my mid-30's, I had an opportunity to take a job transfer(at a substantial pay-cut) to SW Wyoming. My first 2 winters provided me a good initiation!

My first winter in the little town I moved to, we never saw pavement from early Nov. to around the end of March. Near Thanksgiving, we had a record breaking snowfall….27" in a 24 hr. period. most mornings from November thru the end of February) at the job site (34 miles from the house) were - 30 to -33 F. That was fall/winter of '85/'86! My worst winter that I've experienced up here!

The next winter was milder, but we had a fast moving Arctic front pushed through in early February…….we hit -47F one morning at the plant! Actual air temp……not wind chill! 😉 You remember days like that.

Thankfully, with my job I didn't have to stay outside all of the time…..only when the SHTF, which was generally created by bad weather! 😁

We relocated about 22 years ago to a much lower elevation. Very little wind most of the time, pretty cold in winter, pretty hot in summer (2 to 3 weeks with highs at or above 100) and very dry! Dry…..as in less than 6" average total precipitation per year! Or one good rainy day in Louisiana! 😁 memtb

Gillette isn't a bad place to be, but it is pretty "breezy" over there and they get a fair amount of snow! There are far worse places to be in Wyoming! However, snow is good…..it makes water and boy do we need water up here!