New member joining from Scandinavia

Joe-boy

Hi everyone, just joined this forum. I'm a 30-something guy interested in hunting and guns. Have been into this stuff since I was a kid, but actually have started to actively hunt only during last years. My extra interest is in the long range, although I must admit I have very little experience due to a)the lack of longer than 150 meter ranges close to where I live and b)because I've only actively hunt for a relatively short time, and to be honest haven't even tried a shot longer than 150 meters. However, I've always been very interested in the ballistics etc and I really prefer thinking the shot through before shooting and dislike the "oh an animal BANG"-kind of hunting situations.

I've mainly shot white tailed deer, pigeons, an occational raccoon dog, pheasants and black grouse. Most of the shots have been less than 100 meters, some raccoon dogs at about 150 meters. Not long range exactly, but that is where my main interest is, and I try to work my way towards being comfortable taking longer shots as well. I would say I'm extremely cautious, so I don't want to risk wounding and losing any game, no matter edible or not, so I simply refuse the "let's see if I manage to hit"-kind of shots.

Practicing long range is something that is difficult here. I don't own land, so I cannot shoot anywhere else than on the range. I think I should try to visit the longer ranges more often, but when they are a bit further away and with the work, family etc... well, you know... nothing beats actually shooting longer range. I wish I could find some time in the summertime to gain some experience. Using .22LR for pigeons actually is very good practice for the longer range work on centerfires as well.

My rifle for years has been an old Tikka M65 .30-06. It has a thin barrel but I equipped it with a sporter stock, which enhance the ergonomics a lot. I mainly shoot TTSX, but I also have an accurate 155gr Scenar load for that I managed to hit a match box 5 shots out of 8 on 300 meters the last time I tried. I recently bought a CZ527 .223 mostly for raccoon dog/fox/range but I haven't even tried it yet. It has a 12 inch rifling so I'll have to live with the lighter bullets, which is actually not an issue in reality. If I need longer range I'll grab my .30-06. I also have .17 HMR Tikka T1x (manufactured in the same town where I spent my youth ;) ), a TOZ 78 rimfire and a basic shotgun. Don't really need any more guns; what I need is time to practice, time to hunt and a certain amount of self confidence to actually take the shot when offered. There's so much to learn with these guns I'm not going to learn enough in my hopefully 50-60 years to come.

Well, let's see if this first post is also my last one on this forum :D English is not my native language, but I don't let it bother and please forgive me if I use funny words or sentences every once in a while.

Welcome to the forum! Your English is very good. Many of us have the same situation as you. We still enjoy getting out when we can and occasionally driving a much longer distance to shoot long range. What country are you from?

Hi everyone, just joined this forum. I'm a 30-something guy interested in hunting and guns. Have been into this stuff since I was a kid, but actually have started to actively hunt only during last years. My extra interest is in the long range, although I must admit I have very little experience due to a)the lack of longer than 150 meter ranges close to where I live and b)because I've only actively hunt for a relatively short time, and to be honest haven't even tried a shot longer than 150 meters. However, I've always been very interested in the ballistics etc and I really prefer thinking the shot through before shooting and dislike the "oh an animal BANG"-kind of hunting situations.

I've mainly shot white tailed deer, pigeons, an occational raccoon dog, pheasants and black grouse. Most of the shots have been less than 100 meters, some raccoon dogs at about 150 meters. Not long range exactly, but that is where my main interest is, and I try to work my way towards being comfortable taking longer shots as well. I would say I'm extremely cautious, so I don't want to risk wounding and losing any game, no matter edible or not, so I simply refuse the "let's see if I manage to hit"-kind of shots.

Practicing long range is something that is difficult here. I don't own land, so I cannot shoot anywhere else than on the range. I think I should try to visit the longer ranges more often, but when they are a bit further away and with the work, family etc... well, you know... nothing beats actually shooting longer range. I wish I could find some time in the summertime to gain some experience. Using .22LR for pigeons actually is very good practice for the longer range work on centerfires as well.

My rifle for years has been an old Tikka M65 .30-06. It has a thin barrel but I equipped it with a sporter stock, which enhance the ergonomics a lot. I mainly shoot TTSX, but I also have an accurate 155gr Scenar load for that I managed to hit a match box 5 shots out of 8 on 300 meters the last time I tried. I recently bought a CZ527 .223 mostly for raccoon dog/fox/range but I haven't even tried it yet. It has a 12 inch rifling so I'll have to live with the lighter bullets, which is actually not an issue in reality. If I need longer range I'll grab my .30-06. I also have .17 HMR Tikka T1x (manufactured in the same town where I spent my youth ;) ), a TOZ 78 rimfire and a basic shotgun. Don't really need any more guns; what I need is time to practice, time to hunt and a certain amount of self confidence to actually take the shot when offered. There's so much to learn with these guns I'm not going to learn enough in my hopefully 50-60 years to come.

Well, let's see if this first post is also my last one on this forum :D English is not my native language, but I don't let it bother and please forgive me if I use funny words or sentences every once in a while.
Good to have you

Good day to you from SW Colorado, USA. Come by my place as I have a range that goes out to 522 yards. About 477 meters. Drop by any time. I'm 75 some thing.

Thanks, makes me feel welcome!

I'm from the country of Tikka, Sako and Lapua ;)

Also I very much appreciate the offer to visit the longer ranges across the Big Pond. I've been to the States once for work, and I hope I'll have chances to visit there again. It would be cool to be able to do some hunting or shooting there as well one day. The hunting rules, the way people hunt, the hunting culture, the landscape, the species differ a lot from what we've got here.

Welcome. My great grandmother came here by herself when 17 years old. I am a mutt but half scandanavian 😝 I always thought you had moose, caribou, and brown bear there. I had no idea there were white tail deer. Or maybe it is a different animal from the whitetail deer we have here?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.