New member joining from Scandinavia

Welcome. My great grandmother came here by herself when 17 years old. I am a mutt but half scandanavian šŸ˜ I always thought you had moose, caribou, and brown bear there. I had no idea there were white tail deer. Or maybe it is a different animal from the whitetail deer we have here?

We have plenty of moose (though I've never shot one, but it's where the most of the game meat comes from), also brown bear but not that much. For each brown bear shot annually there's roughly 250 moose shot, so moose is way more common. No caribous. White tail deer was brought here from the states something like 100 years ago, and nowadays there's about 100 000 of those here. It's the most important game species in the area where they live, but they are very heavily concentrated in certain part of the country where there's a lot of them whereas in most of the country there are none. I'm lucky enough to hunt in the area where they are relatively common. We also have roe deer. Wild boar is common in some areas, but in my hunting area we've never shot one. Let's see what happens; due to the African Swine Fever the goal is to shoot them all, but my guess is it's impossible and they will conquer more and more areas and become more common. Hope the ASF doesn't spread here...

Other than that we hunt/shoot waterfowl, pigeons, foxes, raccoon dogs, pheasants, black grouse, western capercaillie, hare... we have a long tradition of hunting and more than 5% of the population hunts so everyone knows hunters and in general hunting has a positive image in people's minds, but due to people moving from the countryside to the bigger cities things are changing, many of the hunters are getting old, us younger people have somewhat difficult to find places where allowed to hunt near the bigger cities, and many other reasons I'm a bit worried about how things will proceed in the longer run.

Made my longest-to-date game shot, a white-tailed deer at 200 meters. One shot, one kill. Not long range actually, but still the furthest for me. Lung/liver shot, bullet was maybe 4 inches off from where I planned to put it, ran about 50 meters. It was getting dark already (after the sunset), which made the shot a bit more challenging.

At the moment I wouldn't shoot further than about 250 meters. Needs more practice, more confidence and more testing at longer range to extend the range within which I feel good to shoot at a living creature.

Greetings from Po'tland Oregon.
I'm not going to learn enough in my hopefully 50-60 years to come.
I take it, the men live long in your family.
May your learning be long, fulfilling, and lacking in material you wish you never knew.

Welcome from Arizona! The 30-06 will work well for your situation. Master that cartridge and you're good for many of the large mammals there. There are many choices for bullets and powder to stretch out your shots. Finding a place is the hard part.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.