New member introduction

JP1200

I don't see a specific new member thread/sub so I'll just put this here.

I've followed the forums here for a while but just joined. I'm a couple weeks off my first Colorado elk hunt and can't wait to do it again next year. On my recent hunt I had a clear broadside shot at 550 on a large bull but passed because I wasn't confident in my ability that much past 400 yards. I ended up taking a smaller bull from the herd at 430 and while I put him down quickly my shot reinforced the thought that 550 was probably beyond my current limits.

My group has hunted the same land for almost 20 years and this particular clearing has always held larger bulls, but many elk have been passed on because most shots are between 400 and 1000 yards. With another year of training, and possibly a new caliber, I hope I can get to the point that I'm comfortable taking a shot up to 600 yards or maybe more.

I'm not the welcoming committee but I certainly am willing to welcome you and help whatever I can, I think if you elaborate to members here on what cartridge/rifle make you are using, they'll give advice on making you more comfortable taking those shots. Their is an encyclopedia of knowledge here that is willing to help.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! The member introduction forum is under the Administration almost to the bottom >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/member-introductions.65/

QUOTE="JP1200, post: 2006038, member: 115952"]
I've followed the forums here for a while but just joined. I'm a couple weeks off my first Colorado elk hunt and can't wait to do it again next year. On my recent hunt I had a clear broadside shot at 550 on a large bull but passed because I wasn't confident in my ability that much past 400 yards. I ended up taking a smaller bull from the herd at 430 and while I put him down quickly my shot reinforced the thought that 550 was probably beyond my current limits.

My group has hunted the same land for almost 20 years and this particular clearing has always held larger bulls, but many elk have been passed on because most shots are between 400 and 1000 yards. With another year of training, and possibly a new caliber, I hope I can get to the point that I'm comfortable taking a shot up to 600 yards or maybe more.
[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your elk harvest and for doing the right thing.

I'm not the welcoming committee but I certainly am willing to welcome you and help whatever I can, I think if you elaborate to members here on what cartridge/rifle make you are using, they'll give advice on making you more comfortable taking those shots. Their is an encyclopedia of knowledge here that is willing to help.
Thank you, I'll get to more specific questions in future posts. But since you asked it's a X-Bolt 7 Rem mag, 26" 1:9.5, with a Berger 168 doing 2950. Right now I'm looking either tweaking my load for more velocity or stepping up to 28 Nosler or 300 WM.

Last edited:

welcome freind

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.