New Member in Florida

gedgar2000

Hi. I joined this forum a few months ago because long-range shooting fascinates me, and there are many like-minded people here. I went to college down here, and having had an interest in guns, and never being able to satisfy that interest in NJ, I've owned lots of guns over the years. Shooting pistols is a great challenge, but the disipline and math and technology required to really reach out a long ways and "touch something" with a high powered rifle has always fascinated me, and I was right, it's a challenge and a lot of fun. As a math major, and then Electrical Engineer, the physics and mathematics of the whole game made it more enjoyable to me and not less. Knowing that density altitude, slope, range of course, and the wind, and even the correolus force, and the ballistics of the ammunition, and the spin rate of the barrel all have to come together to get a hit at long range is a real challenge and when it works out it is very satisfying. It is a sport that requires focus, so it's a good stress reliever. I haven't gotten into the hunting aspect of it, because I haven't done much hunting, but I'm very curious to hear all the different points of view on this forum.

Part of the reason I'm posting (And blabbing, instead of just mostly listening) is that I'm going to be forced to sell a Schmidt & Bender 5x25x56 PII P4F Scope that's barely been used and I don't have the required posts to use the classified yet. So this is going towards that. I'll be posting i in the next few days, but if anyone sees this and is interested please PM me and we can discuss it. It's a fine instrument, and this is purely an emergency money-raising exercise. Selling it surely breaks my heart more than a bit, particularly since optics give up a fair percentage of their original value when used, even if near new in condition. And this scope is a real jewel.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey which might be the most anti-gun location in the country. You need a "firearm certificate" to own a .22. To even own a handgun really takes some effort, and to get a concealed carry permit is next to impossible. Florida is a "stand your ground" self-defense state. This law has seen a small amount of abuse, but it towers above the laws in places like NJ where people have been convicted of manslaughter and worse, because they retreated the whole length of their house, to the basement, but there was one more room, or they could have hid behind the furnace, and not had to shoot the shotgun-wielding maniac intent on killing you. I'm totally serious. I recall an incident in South Florida where some Korean American kid, home from college walked into the wrong house over the holidays and the homeowner shot him dead. Having gone to visit my Aunt and Uncle, and grabbing some booze from the car, I went into their next door neighbors house, made myself a drink in the kitchen, and I went out on the porch where I had heard a lot of talking. "Hi everyone!" I looked up, and it was a bunch of strangers. Friendly strangers, the same race as I was, having an identical gathering I was going to. "Well hello there! Merry Christmas!" Laughed the man of the house. I was blushing and managed to get out, "This isn't the Allesio's house I'm realizing." "No, they're next door. We're the Osbournes, and you're welcome to stay and finish your drink." I guess it can be inferred that I don't look very threatening. A reasonably well dressed 35 year old holding a cocktail and smiling doesn't appear to be someone you need to shoot. Thankfully! By Florida Law, I think they were allowed to shoot me though. LOL But the stand your ground law has hardly ever been badly abused, and certainly not systematically. Isolated incidents. It beats being a criminal for trying to save your life.

Hi. I joined this forum a few months ago because long-range shooting fascinates me, and there are many like-minded people here. I went to college down here, and having had an interest in guns, and never being able to satisfy that interest in NJ, I've owned lots of guns over the years. Shooting pistols is a great challenge, but the disipline and math and technology required to really reach out a long ways and "touch something" with a high powered rifle has always fascinated me, and I was right, it's a challenge and a lot of fun. As a math major, and then Electrical Engineer, the physics and mathematics of the whole game made it more enjoyable to me and not less. Knowing that density altitude, slope, range of course, and the wind, and even the correolus force, and the ballistics of the ammunition, and the spin rate of the barrel all have to come together to get a hit at long range is a real challenge and when it works out it is very satisfying. It is a sport that requires focus, so it's a good stress reliever. I haven't gotten into the hunting aspect of it, because I haven't done much hunting, but I'm very curious to hear all the different points of view on this forum.

Part of the reason I'm posting (And blabbing, instead of just mostly listening) is that I'm going to be forced to sell a Schmidt & Bender 5x25x56 PII P4F Scope that's barely been used and I don't have the required posts to use the classified yet. So this is going towards that. I'll be posting i in the next few days, but if anyone sees this and is interested please PM me and we can discuss it. It's a fine instrument, and this is purely an emergency money-raising exercise. Selling it surely breaks my heart more than a bit, particularly since optics give up a fair percentage of their original value when used, even if near new in condition. And this scope is a real jewel.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey which might be the most anti-gun location in the country. You need a "firearm certificate" to own a .22. To even own a handgun really takes some effort, and to get a concealed carry permit is next to impossible. Florida is a "stand your ground" self-defense state. This law has seen a small amount of abuse, but it towers above the laws in places like NJ where people have been convicted of manslaughter and worse, because they retreated the whole length of their house, to the basement, but there was one more room, or they could have hid behind the furnace, and not had to shoot the shotgun-wielding maniac intent on killing you. I'm totally serious. I recall an incident in South Florida where some Korean American kid, home from college walked into the wrong house over the holidays and the homeowner shot him dead. Having gone to visit my Aunt and Uncle, and grabbing some booze from the car, I went into their next door neighbors house, made myself a drink in the kitchen, and I went out on the porch where I had heard a lot of talking. "Hi everyone!" I looked up, and it was a bunch of strangers. Friendly strangers, the same race as I was, having an identical gathering I was going to. "Well hello there! Merry Christmas!" Laughed the man of the house. I was blushing and managed to get out, "This isn't the Allesio's house I'm realizing." "No, they're next door. We're the Osbournes, and you're welcome// to stay and finish your drink." I guess it can be inferred that I don't look very threatening. A reasonably well dressed 35 year old holding a cocktail and smiling doesn't appear to be someone you need to shoot. Thankfully! By Florida Law, I think they were allowed to shoot me though. LOL But the stand your ground law has hardly ever been badly abused, and certainly not systematically. Isolated incidents. It beats being a criminal for trying to save your life.
Hey there and welcome -Happy New Year!!
If you ever get up to the mid East of GA look us up (we won't shoot you, Samson takes the first look, he is 145#s of Pure Mountain Berenes )and also if you need reloading/shooting components/barrels
look us up
God Bless
len & jill
678-427-616