New Member from the PNW

OUT4DUX

Hello All,

My name is Matt and while new I think I have a LR Hunting obsession. Being primarily a bow hunter this idea of shooting out to 1000 yards is totally insane and intriguing me. I live about 40 miles out of Seattle.

Just picked-up a Christensen Arms Ridgeline 6.5 Creedmoor and am now in search of a quality optic. Looking at the Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x44 as it's weight pairs well with the 6.3lb rifle. Thanks to all the previous members for paving the way and creating an awesome community loaded with info.

Cheers,

Matt

1000 yards is the new 200 yards. For me it's honestly starting to feel a little close. My coach and I like shoot that kind of distance offhand nowadays to make it properly challenging. Don't make me come up there and show you how quickly you can pick up the sport.

First things first, you'll need information that's not based on someone liking the thing they personally have. I like and use US Optics almost exclusively nowadays but that's just my preference. Most people will recommend whatever they have. I find that less than useful.

The fact of the matter with scopes is you get what you pay for mostly. High end Leupold's, IOR Valdada's, US Optics, Khales, Schmidt & Bender's, Vortex Razors and Vipers, Steiners, Burris XTR's, SWFA, Bushnell Elite's, Nightforce and on and on are all very high quality scopes and you'd do well with any of them. Weight being a factor for you pretty much pulls the Razor2's from Vortex off the line but there are relatively light scopes in the mix. Really high quality comes with some weight.

The best tip I can give most new entrants to the sport is only buy the features you need and don't try to cheap out. Since you're looking at a V6 Loopy, you're already not cheaping out. Getting a scope that has everything plus the kitchen sink for features at a price point very much lower than others in the same configuration means that they had to save money somewhere, usually by poorly implementing those features or by using garbage glass or both.

Given your attraction to the V6, you may also want to look at Steiner T5Xi, Burris XTR 2, anything in the Bushnell Elite line EXCEPT the 10x40, IOR Valdada 3-18x42 Tactical, and quite a lot of others. To make any more of a usefully helpful post we'd need to know what kind of shooting you plan on: Hunting, PRS, casual horsing around, F-Class, etc... Then we can all pummel you with much more specific and relevant answers.

Mostly hunting and horsing around, I'm moving forward with the idea of hunting more than anything else. As such more realistic in the 200-500yrd range but don't want to miss out on the opportunity to shoot LR, even if not in a hunting situation. Like I said the difference between 50yrs archery (my LR) and being able to poke out at a coyote 20x that distance just seems worth giving it an honest attempt. Thanks for the feedback!

Honestly for hunting the Leupold is not a bad option though I'd really suggest giving the others I noted a good look. I really like the Steiner and Burris XTR scopes. They've been exceptionally consistent in testing I've done with my students. Check out the for sale section here and on Snipershide.com forum for some really fantastic optics at good prices used. There's good deals on secondhand optics.

The next question will be MIL or MOA. MIL are easier to use at long range in a lot of subtle ways.

Welcome to the forum!

As I get more and more into long range, I realize that there are people that can practice and practice and get decent at shooting sports, and then there are some that have that "natural ability". A friend of mine is one of those naturals. In a single trip I witnessed him shoot my 6.5 creed out to 400 yards guessing drops, pinholing fist sized rocks offhand. Then he shot my .300 at 1400 yards better than I can shoot it. It was his first time shooting a rifle in 6 months and he doesn't even shoot long range. Same trip I witnessed him use his compound bow that he had bought a week before to center punch a duck sized "rock" with a field tip at a 45 degree angle off a cliff across a river, at 90 yards. In wind. First shot.

Me, not being one of "those people with the inherent gift" have to practice. A lot. When I'm not practicing I'm thinking about technique or browsing forums!

Good luck with your long range journey!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts