New member from Northern Utah

Is a Browning rifle a quality choice for a long range rifle considering other options for the money?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• Maybe...

• Total voters

Drjones65

Hello !

I am a semi-new member to the site.
I have been reading and learning from the members knowledge and experience for a while now.
I live in Northern Utah (right down the road from Browning HQ) and a life long hunter /shooter.
I am new to the sport of long range shooting. (I know late to the ball!)
I hunt mule deer and elk in the big canyons and mountains of Northern Utah at over 8,000 FT in elevation - often times late into January.
Hopefully I will start gaining more knowledge and share knowledge with the group.

Hopefully I will start gaining more knowledge and share knowledge with the group.
Welcome to the group. There's an old tradition here (that I just made up) for newcomers to give up some info in their first post. Picked up a non-resident general season deer tag in Central mountains, Manti. What do you got for me?

Sam -

I have hunted that area quite a bit.

The Manti range is big with deep canyons I'm not sure of your unit boundaries.
If you go up Fairview Canyon (major paved road) at the top is the Skyline Drive - runs pretty much the top of the entire range. You can drop off of the top and hunt any number of canyons. I last hunted C canyon. I left the truck before sun up and dropped 4 miles down in - shot a nice 4 point. It came back up and out on my back. Ephraim Canyon is good. Lots of road hunters in Utah - get off the road and you will do well. Lots of public land in that unit but you have to get off the road.

Shoot straight!

Dave

Sam -

If you go up Fairview Canyon (major paved road) at the top is the Skyline Drive - runs pretty much the top of the entire range. You can drop off of the top and hunt any number of canyons. I last hunted C canyon. I left the truck before sun up and dropped 4 miles down in - shot a nice 4 point. It came back up and out on my back. Ephraim Canyon is good. Lots of road hunters in Utah - get off the road and you will do well. Lots of public land in that unit but you have to get off the road.

Shoot straight!

Dave
Thanks for the tips Dave. Have an area in the southern portion that's been producing. Was really just trying to do a little hazing, was expecting something closer to, "hunt in areas where there's lots of bucks".

Sam -

Shoot straight!

Dave
In general Utah is full of road hunters, using any form of mechanized conveyance, some legal, some illegal. The challenge is getting away from the road hunters far enough. In the Unitas that is more than a couple of miles from any road.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.