New Member from Nevada

ripjive9311

Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself a a new member. My name is dave and I have lived in Las Vegas since 1974 and have hunted the state my entire life. I have been an avid shooter all my life and handload my own ammo.I hunt upland game and big game but have only taken Mule Deer and Pronghorn and just got my first bull Elk tag. I have been shooting a Ruger 1A 270win and bought the rifle over 30 years ago cause it was compact and I am not a large guy as well as I started handloading and I felt the action would be more forgiving if I did not do my part right due to the design of it. I have the rifle shooting 3/4 MOA and all the animals I have taken were done with one shot and none had to be tracked more than a hundred yards (that does not count the ones I missed totally)but all of those shots were inside 400 yards as that was my comfort range and could always get that close.
Now that I have my Elk tag I need more gun and range and that is why I am here.
I am setting up a Christiansen Mesa Long range in 300win and want to get my comfort zone out to at least 600 yards or more and plan on shooting constantly till season to build the skills I will now need so I am sure I will have some questions as I work thru this.
I do not think I will have the time to work up a load for the rifle so I will use factory ammo and as usual will have to learn what it likes but any suggestions would be apretiated.
Years ago I completely changed the way I grip a pistol and it took some time but it greatly improved my shooting and I think there will be a bit of that with the rifle also cause at 400 yards I could get away with some bad habits that long range will not afford me....back to the basics!!
I have been around long enough to know that learning from others experience is quicker than learning from my own so that is why I joined as well as most people I know with a skill are more than happy to pass along their knowlege to others or it is just wasted when we die.
Thank you for having me and hopefully all this ends with a filled tag.

Last edited:
My guess is your 270 will work just fine for your hunt if you have time constraints.

If you are a hand loader you have plenty of time to get your 300 going and there is tons of data on loading for a 300 win. Search function is your friend so I would suggest starting there and then spend time on the range. I'm sure there are numerous users here that shoot the same gun that can point you in the right direction on load data but again, there's tons of resources if you use the search tool.

Good luck on your hunt.

Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself a a new member. My name is {REMOVED}and I have lived in Las Vegas since 1974 and have hunted the state my entire life. I have been an avid shooter all my life and handload my own ammo.I hunt upland game and big game but have only taken Mule Deer and Pronghorn and just got my first bull Elk tag. I have been shooting a Ruger 1A 270win and bought the rifle over 30 years ago cause it was compact and I am not a large guy as well as I started handloading and I felt the action would be more forgiving if I did not do my part right due to the design of it. I have the rifle shooting 3/4 MOA and all the animals I have taken were done with one shot and none had to be tracked more than a hundred yards (that does not count the ones I missed totally)but all of those shots were inside 400 yards as that was my comfort range and could always get that close.
Now that I have my Elk tag I need more gun and range and that is why I am here.
I am setting up a Christiansen Mesa Long range in 300win and want to get my comfort zone out to at least 600 yards or more and plan on shooting constantly till season to build the skills I will now need so I am sure I will have some questions as I work thru this.
I do not think I will have the time to work up a load for the rifle so I will use factory ammo and as usual will have to learn what it likes but any suggestions would be apretiated.
Years ago I completely changed the way I grip a pistol and it took some time but it greatly improved my shooting and I think there will be a bit of that with the rifle also cause at 400 yards I could get away with some bad habits that long range will not afford me....back to the basics!!
I have been around long enough to know that learning from others experience is quicker than learning from my own so that is why I joined as well as most people I know with a skill are more than happy to pass along their knowlege to others or it is just wasted when we die.
Thank you for having me and hopefully all this ends with a filled tag.
Welcome. I'd suggest quickly editing to remove your real name, you really don't want it out there on the net for many reasons.

Handloading is always going to be your best bet for precision shooting but you can get lucky and sometimes find factory ammo that will get you to sub MOA. If you are extending your range beyond 400yds the more critical it becomes to have a good load as the further you go out the more the errors magnify.

My suggestion would be to perhaps look at some of the custom ammo guys out there to see if they can come up with the right load for you. Your other alternative is to buy several high end factory loads from different manufacturers and see what shoots best for you.

I would also encourage you to pick one that has a good bonded and/or cannelure type bullet because elk are tough and you want to guarantee full penetration with good, consistent expansion shot after shot to give yourself the best chance at a clean one shot kill.

Once you find that load you need to start practicing out to probably 800 yards and keep good data on the results at various ranges under as many different sets of conditions possible so that when the time comes, no matter what conditions or range you find yourself shooting your elk at you can shoot with confidence.

Oh, I can recommend Federal Premium bonded and Hornady Precision Hunter as well as the Nosler Custom with the Accubond, Accubond LR, or Partition. The partition is a guaranteed penetrator but has lower BC's than the rest.

Start at 180gr loads up to 210-220gr bullets depending on your twist rate. If you have a 1:10Tr or faster you should be able to stabilize any of the above bullets.

If you run into problems don't be afraid to come back and ask for help. You'll find a lot of well intentioned people giving decent advice here and very few wannabe's.

Thank you gentelmen, I have plenty of time by the calander but my schedule does not allow me the time for loading and range time especially since I will have to spend alot of time there to re learn rife shooting. I have been a pistol and shotgun shooter all my life and just shot my rifles enough to verify accuracy before a hunt and I got away with alot of bad habits due to the ranges for my shots being relatevly close. I still have to talk myself thru every trigger pull or I will slap the trigger like my shotgun and miss.
I picked up a box of Nosler 180 Accubond and will break in the rifle with it and see how it shoots and then try the others also and work up a load for it after this hunt.
I have always run Leopold scopes and will use a VX5HD on it but what is your thoughts on reticals? I have always shot the duplex but am not sure what is prefered for the longer ranges. Thank you again for the help.

Thank you gentelmen, I have plenty of time by the calander but my schedule does not allow me the time for loading and range time especially since I will have to spend alot of time there to re learn rife shooting. I have been a pistol and shotgun shooter all my life and just shot my rifles enough to verify accuracy before a hunt and I got away with alot of bad habits due to the ranges for my shots being relatevly close. I still have to talk myself thru every trigger pull or I will slap the trigger like my shotgun and miss.
I picked up a box of Nosler 180 Accubond and will break in the rifle with it and see how it shoots and then try the others also and work up a load for it after this hunt.
I have always run Leopold scopes and will use a VX5HD on it but what is your thoughts on reticals? I have always shot the duplex but am not sure what is prefered for the longer ranges. Thank you again for the help.
There are lots of good reticles but the TMOA and B&C are the two I have gotten to really like from Lupold in recent years.

Both give you a scale to work with for evaluating horns, body size, and to make rapid elevation/wind adjustments on the fly.

Wildrose gave you some great info.

In regards to reticles its really personal preference. Are you planning on dialing turrets or using the retical to manage holdover?

This will start your decision process on which way to go.

Do you have a good rangefinder?

Oh, I can recommend Federal Premium bonded and Hornady Precision Hunter as well as the Nosler Custom with the Accubond, Accubond LR, or Partition. The partition is a guaranteed penetrator but has lower BC's than the rest.

Start at 180gr loads up to 210-220gr bullets depending on your twist rate. If you have a 1:10Tr or faster you should be able to stabilize any of the above bullets.

If you run into problems don't be afraid to come back and ask for help. You'll find a lot of well intentioned people giving decent advice here and very few wannabe's.
I
Welcome. I'd suggest quickly editing to remove your real name, you really don't want it out there on the net for many reasons.

Handloading is always going to be your best bet for precision shooting but you can get lucky and sometimes find factory ammo that will get you to sub MOA. If you are extending your range beyond 400yds the more critical it becomes to have a good load as the further you go out the more the errors magnify.

My suggestion would be to perhaps look at some of the custom ammo guys out there to see if they can come up with the right load for you. Your other alternative is to buy several high end factory loads from different manufacturers and see what shoots best for you.

I would also encourage you to pick one that has a good bonded and/or cannelure type bullet because elk are tough and you want to guarantee full penetration with good, consistent expansion shot after shot to give yourself the best chance at a clean one shot kill.

Once you find that load you need to start practicing out to probably 800 yards and keep good data on the results at various ranges under as many different sets of conditions possible so that when the time comes, no matter what conditions or range you find yourself shooting your elk at you can shoot with confidence.

We can always send the big green bitch to him to take his elk!!! Hahahahsh
That would be funny

I

We can always send the big green bitch to him to take his elk!!! Hahahahsh
That would be funny
Well, only if I ever get it finished! HA!

Donna cleaned up and I've been looking for a couple of parts since about Valentine's day. As soon as I can get her to figure out where she put them we'll have one more to play with.

Of course, she says she put them in a very special place so they wouldn't get lost.... .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.