New Member from LA

Anthrops

Hello!

I'm originally from Southern Minnesota and grew up in a family that did a little shooting, but not much hunting. I always wanted to deer hunt growing up, but couldn't get my dad to take me. Went to college in Seattle, then Grad school in Pasadena, where I met my wife. We got married and after a year the opportunity to hunt MN whitetail with my dad and some uncles on my uncle's farm finally happened. I used a TC contender with a 45 colt barrel built by the TC custom shop I bought from a guy new in the box. 15" and rifled. Dad helped me work up some handloads (250 xtp over W296) and we put 4 bucks on the ground that weekend between the 4 of us. It was a childhood wish fulfilled.

Fast forward twenty years later and I have always wanted to go hunting again, but life with kids, work and living in LA county don't make that easy. But a year ago I reconnected with an uncle from the Reno area who is an avid hunter/reloader and we're doing our best to make a hunt happen. I have a lot of questions for you guys as I try to get this new hobby/obsession started. But for now just wanted to say hi!

Welcome from SE PA! It was a cousin's pictures of his Alaska Hunts that was instrumental in my hunting adventure. My growing up years dad had no guns and never hunted. Years later I found out he could not handle seeing blood, but he did buy a license one year since I was Jr hunter.
My family today all but one, shoots and some hunt, all have there hunter ed course. I gave them all a 22 rifle, Shotgun and deer rifle with scope.
Enjoy the hunt.

Thanks Rosebud! There are times I wish I was from Alabama. I heard you guys have very generous tag limits for whitetails down there. I'm in a situation where I have to apply as a non-resident in Nevada as I don't know anyone with private land that allows hunting in CA. As a non-resident applicant, my prices are high and I'm competing for a very very limited amount of tags.

This is one of my main things I hope to learn from this community. I know people have strong feeling about non-resident hunters, but how does someone in my situation identify non-resident hunting options for various areas of the US if they're just starting out. Learning the rules for hunting in areas outside of those you're familiar with is daunting, so any resources that can help new hunters begin to learn this info would be welcome info if it's already out there somewhere.

Thanks Rosebud! There are times I wish I was from Alabama. I heard you guys have very generous tag limits for whitetails down there. I'm in a situation where I have to apply as a non-resident in Nevada as I don't know anyone with private land that allows hunting in CA. As a non-resident applicant, my prices are high and I'm competing for a very very limited amount of tags.

This is one of my main things I hope to learn from this community. I know people have strong feeling about non-resident hunters, but how does someone in my situation identify non-resident hunting options for various areas of the US if they're just starting out. Learning the rules for hunting in areas outside of those you're familiar with is daunting, so any resources that can help new hunters begin to learn this info would be welcome info if it's already out there somewhere.
You're welcome to move here, just make sure you vote conservative. I personally know five new families that have moved here from California in past three years. They had had enough of the crazies. One of them couldn't believe they got a thirty two hundred square foot home with eight acres of land for $225 .000.oo wasn't new, but very nice brick home on wooded property.

Hello!

I'm originally from Southern Minnesota and grew up in a family that did a little shooting, but not much hunting. I always wanted to deer hunt growing up, but couldn't get my dad to take me. Went to college in Seattle, then Grad school in Pasadena, where I met my wife. We got married and after a year the opportunity to hunt MN whitetail with my dad and some uncles on my uncle's farm finally happened. I used a TC contender with a 45 colt barrel built by the TC custom shop I bought from a guy new in the box. 15" and rifled. Dad helped me work up some handloads (250 xtp over W296) and we put 4 bucks on the ground that weekend between the 4 of us. It was a childhood wish fulfilled.

Fast forward twenty years later and I have always wanted to go hunting again, but life with kids, work and living in LA county don't make that easy. But a year ago I reconnected with an uncle from the Reno area who is an avid hunter/reloader and we're doing our best to make a hunt happen. I have a lot of questions for you guys as I try to get this new hobby/obsession started. But for now just wanted to say hi!
Welcome to the forum from Tennessee

Just do a search for DNR Department of natural resources in any state you choose that's always a good place to start.

If you ever decide to move into this area I can put onto some really good hunting land. If you're work involved a computer you can do it anywhere.