New Member from Kansas

skeen

New member here from Kansas. I've been a lurker on this forum, among others, for a while but am active on 24hour regularly under the same screen name.

Not really a long range hunter. Matter of fact, I'm going the other way and really getting more and more into pistol shooting. Hoping to take my first pistol deer this year. However, I still go to the local range regularly and shoot out to 300 yards, which is as far as our range goes.

As I get older, ironically, I'm also getting away from wood and blued guns and moving more into "black" guns. It started out as nostalgia trying to re-live my army days (cue Bruce Springsteen, "Glory Days"), and now I just really enjoy shooting them. My newest toy is a Rock River LAR-8 X-1 in .308. It's a shooter.

For an all 'round deer rifle - after many years and dozens of different calibers and rifles, I've finally settled on a Sako 85 dropped in a black/white McSwirly stock in .30-06 topped with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. It's a flat out shooter.

I whitetail deer hunt KS and Missouri, and occasionally make it down to Oklahoma too. The biggest buck I ever saw in my life was in SW OK - it still haunts my dreams.

Aside from that, I'm about 10 years out from retiring and though I don't have a specific retirement location in mind, yet, ideally I will be able to wake up and cast a fly in a trout stream from my front porch.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have fun. I was heavy into pistols for a number of years and then got interested in long range shooting about 5 years ago. I still shoot pistol to maintain some basic ability

Another one that wrapped up in handgun hunting. I started off in the early 80's with a 29 SW. I got up close and personal with them.
Mid 80's bought my first TC. Then IHMSA. Then an XP or two and it was all down hill from there. Did not own a rifle for around 20 years, had no use for one. Then in the 90's I moved past 200 meters. Thought I was doing somthing going to 4 and 500. Guys blew past me building special rigs shooting to 1k and beyond.
Back to wheel guns and rifles. Must be midlife crisis, big bore revolvers and sub 22 center fires interest me.

Hey, thank you. Flint Hills, eh? Love the magical sunrises in the Flint Hills. I often hunt between Cottonwood Falls and Matfield Green.

Flint Hills opening day muzzleloader buck a couple years ago

rZZn8cr.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.