New Member from Colorado

Sagebrush

I grew up in Oklahoma drooling over Outdoor Life and Field & Stream. Moved to Colorado (still here) in 1960 & my first mulie buck fell to a borrowed .257 Roberts that year. I have been hunting, shooting, and handloading ever since - although with bad knees my hunting days are about over. I can still punch paper though! I have been through many, many bolt guns and calibers over the years, but the '06 is still my favorite. I have taken my fair share of big game at what I consider long range - 300 to 400 yards. And now - I am considering a rifle on the AR platform. So - looking for a review on a DPMS LR260 led me here (great review on this site). Looks like I can take care of my .260 itch and an AR at the same time. Never joined any kind of forum before - but thought I would give it a try.

:)Welcome to LRH ....... I have hunted colorado only twice but I long for the chance to make it back . We hunted near steam boat springs . Are you familiar with this area ?

Tons of info. on this site

Bigbuck

Yessir Bigbuck. I have hunted and fished all over Northwest Colorado. Lived in the area a couple of times over the years. Very familiar with the Elk River area north of Steamboat. Don't get me started on how it "used to be"! :)

Sagebrush,

It has been 11 years since i've been out to steam boat springs Colorado to hunt . we used to hunt Sheep Herder MTN . In fact I let a nice muley get away from me there . we ususally had good luck with elk in that area. have you ever hunted sheep herder before ? and is the elk population still okay ? Are there any wolves in your area I keep hearing alot about the wolves damaging the elk herds in MT & WY

Sorry for so many questions I've just wondered about this part of colorado.

Thanks,
Bigbuck

Bigbuck - As far as wolves in Colorado goes - there might be one or two sneaking around somewhere - but they certainly aren't here in numbers enough to hurt the largest Elk population in the US. I am familiar with a Sheep Mtn - nearly in Wyoming - North and slightly east of Bears Ears - but don't know anything about the current hunting situation in that area. Maybe there is a Sheep Herder Mtn in the vicinity I don't remember. Anyway - lots of elk and no wolf issues in Colorado. You certainly wouldn't be wrong to come back to Colorado to hunt elk - but I think the deer population, although recovering, is still pretty stressed.

Sagebrush

Bigbuck - As far as wolves in Colorado goes - there might be one or two sneaking around somewhere - but they certainly aren't here in numbers enough to hurt the largest Elk population in the US. I am familiar with a Sheep Mtn - nearly in Wyoming - North and slightly east of Bears Ears - but don't know anything about the current hunting situation in that area. Maybe there is a Sheep Herder Mtn in the vicinity I don't remember. Anyway - lots of elk and no wolf issues in Colorado. You certainly wouldn't be wrong to come back to Colorado to hunt elk - but I think the deer population, although recovering, is still pretty stressed.

Sagebrush

Thanks for the info. and have a great day.

Bigbuck

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts