New member fixing to move to Gillette, Wy.

JohnnyT3

Hello everyone, I'm Johnny... It's a pleasure being here.

I live in Locust Grove, VA. My wife got a great job offer in Gillette, WY, so she and I are fixing to move there in the next couple of months. I can't wait to be able to shoot farther than 100-150 yds... I'd really like to meet a few guys from around the area and hopefully be able to BS with y'all and do some quality shooting. Look forward to chatting with everyone here...

Gillette will be a bit of a change of pace. One the local gunsmiths has a range that goes to 1200 or so yds. Public land available for shooting not too far away. After a year you become a resident and can take a deer and antelope most yrs. have to drive a little ways to fish, but it could be worse. Good luck on the move. Bruce

Good to meet you Bruce,

My wife and I visited Gillette last month and fell in love with WY. I'd really like to keep in touch with you and when we move there maybe you can give me some insight on where and when we can hunt and fish and things to do around there. We should be there by Sept 1st. We are currently looking for a place to rent until we decide if we're going to be there a while and buy. We will be there at least 3 years, but I have a feeling it will be longer. There's a lot of things for us to do out there. Hunt, fish, motorcycle riding, etc... Lots of things.

Johnny

My wife and I own Marshall Jewelry. Stop by and we'll chat. Lots of great places for recreation around here. Several other members in the area too. Bruce

Welcome to the board, Johnny. And I will be glad to welcome you to Gillette once you get here. I havelived all over the country and I can't think of a beter place to be. Bruce is almost correct about the local gunsmith having a distance range set up. I believe it goes out to 2200yds rather than 1200yds though.

The gunsmith in question is Chuck McIntosh of Mac's Gunworks and is a good friend of mine. I will take you out and introduce you once you get here. He can help you make some well informed decisions when it comes to setting up a distance rifle and buying all the needed gear. I have learned ALOT from him.

We ranch out south of town, so I am can also do some shooting out here whenever I want. I usually guide antelope hunters during the first part of October while also trying to work around shipping calves to the sale. There is alot of opportunities for hunters and shooters out here, although it sometimes requires a little drive time. You will soon learn that 100 drive isn't much at all. One of my good friends lives 25 miles away as the crow flies, 45 minutes by road, and he is considered a neighbor.

There alre alot of good people here and most are pretty helpful to newcomers looking to assimilate into the local culture. In your pm to me, you mentioned liking to coonhunt. There aren't alot of coonhunters here, but there is a few of houndsmen who liike to chase bobcats and mountain lions. You can expect things to be different than where you are coming from, but that just means new opportunities to learn things.

Be sure to stay in touch and we can get together once you get here.

Tex

Hey there Tex, I received and responded to your PM.

From what I've seen and heard from others, my wife and I should do well in WY.
Can't wait to meet you and Bruce and see Gillette from locals eyes and experience. Should be all settled in by mid to late Sept. I will definitely get in touch with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.