New Manitoba member

Carsyn.22

Hello from Manitoba, thanks for having me! for now I'm here to listen and learn!
I work as a general carpenter, I'm married no kids yet, 26 years old, been hunting since I was 13, reloading since 20, but only loaded 30-30 win until recently I acquired a 6.5x55 swede Husqvarna M96 dated 1942 and would like to use it as a hunting rifle with a bit more reach than the old 30wcf! These are cheap enough here in Manitoba and my funds are quite limited, so for now I must be content with this rifle and the vortex crossfire II that I got for it!
Carsyn

Welcome to the site, you have found a great bunch of guys! The knowledge these guys have and share will be a great resource to you. I am amazed by the information I read everyday. As far as your selection of rifles , take care of what you have and you will upgrade as circumstances allow! Enjoy the journey !

Be careful reloading your rifle,,, make sure you find out if the action is the low or high CUP / PSI pressure...

65.000 psi tested actions if I recall,,, 55.000 ish CUP when tested back in the day...

If you reload,,, start off with the old reloading data and burn rate powder for that action...

Inspect the brass after shooting to make sure it doesn't have excessive heat space,,, better to be ahead of the game plan...

Pal Don North of the 49th

Don what part of Canada are you from? Any relation of Mr. Weldon Parsons? I believe he has since passed on but we met him in Saskatoon about 11 years ago at a farmers market stand, my Dad had the stand beside him, and he befriended me and my brothers, we sat and soaked up the stories of his guiding and trapping days, he also gave us an autographed book which I read more times than I can count!

How do I tell if I have the 55,000 proof or 65,000 proof? my action has Husqvarna Vapenfabrinks 1942 stamped on top. Also has only a 20.75" barrel so that might hinder velocities. I'm probably going to need a crhronograph for this gun, is the Caldwell basic any good. Seems affordable and stocked at Cabelas.
I am familiar with inspecting my 30-30 brass for case head separation using a bent open paper clip inside down by the case web and quick visual from outside, if there's a crack starting the paper clip should catch, so far I'm doing the same with the 6.5, this is every loading for both cartridges. for sizing I screw the die down until it just touches the raised ram, then size one and see if it chambers easy, screw down 1/8 turn until they chamber smoothly, then size the whole batch. I haven't had a separation or even crack yet. Trying to size as little as possible and my 30-30 loads won't chamber in my Dad's 1963 Winchester, mine is 1942 and chamber smoothly.
I need new brass for the 6.5, Tradeex.ca currently doesn't have Lapua, but they have once fired Norma or new Prvi for $20 less, is the Prvi any good?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.