New LRH

Long Range

I'm new to this site I have been doing some research on a new gun build and this looks like a great place to find the answers I'm looking for. I'm building a 7-300wsm and would like to know if buying a rem 700 and true it up would be as good as just buying a custom action. If not what custom action would you recommend and why?

A 700 can certainly be as good. The advantages to using a 700 would be, total control of the features and specs, more options, and a chance to save money if you need trued but not all the extras.

The advantages with a custom are improved aesthetics, better resale value, and less work for your smith (faster turn around).

I like Defiance Machine. His work's top notch. I like Stiller because they are quality and available.

Which one defiance machine or stiller would be the best. I looked at defiance web sight and couldnt find a price on them. They both look like great actions this is my first build and I want it to be a good. My smith says a trued up 700 will be just fine I just see some little things that make a custom look better such as tighter bolt, maybe a longer barrel tenon, thicker recoil lug, better extractor for magnums, and a over all heavier platform. But it does cost considerably more so is all the extra worth that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.