New LRH needing some advice.

SA Bagger

Good evening to all

I am new to long range hunting and could need some advice on how to upgrade my newly bought Savage 111 LRH chambered in .338 lapua Mag. I am a South African working in the US and have hunted a lot but never long range. So I will appreciate our advice on some upgrades that I am looking to make on my rifle when getting back to SA.

Firstly I want to change the accu stock out. I am looking at replacing it with a MDT LSS chassis or HS precision thumb hole stock. Witch one do think is better?

Then for optics I am locking at the vortex viper pst 6-24X50. Will this be fine for a beginner?

Also if it comes to reloading, should I stick to Lapua brass or will Nosler do the job just as good?

Lastly what bullet wight will work best in my 1 in 9 twist barrel?

Sorry for all the questions, but I will appreciate you advice greatly.

I don't have a 338 LM myself but a friend of mine does.

The Vortex PST is a good scope. If you're going to use it for hunting then a low power of 6x is pretty high. You may want to consider something like a Burris XTR-II in 4-20x

My friend likes to use the 300 gr Berger VLD, but it sounds like others like the 250 gr.

I don't know what your best choice for stock is. You might want to just try the one that came on it first.

Can't help you with your choice of stock as I am not familiar with the one you have or the two you want to get. I have owned a Viper PST and think either that or the Sightron SIII are a great starting scope.

Regarding brass: my first three choice would be Lapu, Lapua and Lapua - in that order.

As a general rule, I have found that barrels with a 1 in 9.0 on up to a 1 in 10 seem to do better with the 280-300 grain pills.

I would probably think hard about keeping the original stock, save the $ and put it towards a Nightforce 5.5x22x. Lapua brass ,and a 300 gr Bergers shoot very well in the Savage I owned, and others I have seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts