New LRH Gun - Gunwerks or Custom Build from SAC

ndczerwinski

I'm getting ready to order a new long range hunting rifle in 300 PRC. I am debating getting a Gunwerks Magnus Rifle or having Short Action Customs build me a rifle on a Defiance action, proof barrel, Manners EH1, and Trigger Tech Diamond. Money is not a factor.

I have been intrigued by Gunwerks for years now, but I am just wondering if they are all they are hyped up to be. I have fired several SAC custom builds and have been very impressed, but I can't help but think I am going to have buyers remorse over not getting the Gunwerks I have wanted for years. My big hesitation is the fact that they do cost a few thousand more and I have no first hand experience with them.

Looking for input on someone with experience with a Gunwerks Magnus and input on how it compares to other full customs.

Thank you.

I own a gun works gun for alot of years now.. it a great shooter.. but not going to lie I was expecting more from a gun with that high of a price tag

Attachments

• 20151113_155556.jpg
    20151113_155556.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 185
  • 20151111_071755.jpg
    20151111_071755.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 235
Ive owned both in the exact configuration you listed skip the gunwerks they are more hype then anything there stocks are clunky and are not even bedded to action I've have to send three in for accuracy problems! I still have the same custom you listed built by snowy mountain rifles only difference is I have A eh6A manners vs a eh1 twice the gun as the gunwerks

Do a custom build-- I had an opportunity to shoot a Gunwerks 7LRM at the range a few weeks back and I was less than impressed with the rifle. It shot well (1/2 moa @ 100) but the overall fit of the rifle wasn't there for me.

And the factory loaded ammo was less than impressive over the Chrono.

If I wanted a big 30cal and money was not an issue I would be on the phone tomorrow with Ryan Pierce for a 300NM Imp or a 30-28 Nosler

I received my Gunwerks Magnus in earlyJuly. Mounted a SFP ATACR 5-25. I really like the adjustable recoil pad for shooting prone. I ordered it with their directional muzzle brake and it is very manageable to shoot. 300 RUM with 230 A Tips. Action feels smooth and ejects loaded and empty cartridges clearly out of the way. It came with a case ammo which I asked for 230 Bergers. No problem shooting half in groups at 100 and I've shot .5moa out at 750 yards. It was very easy to get the 230 A Tips to shoot in it as well.I have the proof sendero light barrel on mine. The only other rifle I have to compare it to is my Chritensen arms custom 300 Rum. Its on its third barrel. The Magnus I feel does a remarkable job of directing motion rearward with minimal muzzle lift. The customer service they have provided to me has been great. Yes they are expensive especially to get one up here in Canada. I had a chance last winter at the Hunting Expo in Salt Lake City to handle a number of high end rifles from different builders and was sold on the feel of the Magnus. I think most of the builders at the show build great rifles and will take care of their customers. So many choices and never enough money. I would buy another after owning this one. No dissapointments here.

I have always felt Gunwerks were just a little too"proud" of their stuff. Who pays for all those exotic hunting trips?
I prefer to pick my own parts....Not a package..I want this trigger..this stock ..this break.
There is a Smith here in Ky that will assemble it.and I think he's world class.
And more reasonable in his fees.

Last edited:
I like the Gunwerks show. However, the price of their rifles is something I don't understand. Go custom. Shop around and look at other places than SAC too.

I'm getting ready to order a new long range hunting rifle in 300 PRC. I am debating getting a Gunwerks Magnus Rifle or having Short Action Customs build me a rifle on a Defiance action, proof barrel, Manners EH1, and Trigger Tech Diamond. Money is not a factor.

I have been intrigued by Gunwerks for years now, but I am just wondering if they are all they are hyped up to be. I have fired several SAC custom builds and have been very impressed, but I can't help but think I am going to have buyers remorse over not getting the Gunwerks I have wanted for years. My big hesitation is the fact that they do cost a few thousand more and I have no first hand experience with them.

Looking for input on someone with experience with a Gunwerks Magnus and input on how it compares to other full customs.

Thank you.

I have a Gunwerks 6.5-284 and the gun was worth every penny IMO. Their customer service is great if you ever need anything.

BEEN DEALING WITH GUNWERKS FOR MANY YEARS. I HAVE THERE RIFLES WITH THE NEW STOCK DESIGN AND THERE RANGE FINDERS ARE THE BEST. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. JUST ABOUT ALL CUSTOM RIFLES TODAY GO FOR THE SAME COST AS THERE RIFLES OR MORE. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NUMBER ONE WITH THEM. SORRY THEY ARE TOP OF THE LINE PEOPLE. I HAVE KILLED MANY ANIMALS WITH THERE RIFLES OUT TO 1275 YARDS. SPEND YOUR MONEY WHEREVER BUT DON'T BAD MOUTH THESE GUYS BECAUSE IMO THEY ARE GREAT TO DEAL WITH.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.