New LR Shooter

dkrueger

I have a few questions. I am just starting long range hunting, shooting, and reloading. I have a Savage 111 .308 and a Tikka lite 7 mag. From all I have found the 155 or 175 match king for the .308 and the 168 match king or 162 amax for the 7 mag. I would like some advise on which of these is better or if something else may be better?

I would like a one round fits all. Hunting deer at distance and long range shooting. I live in ND so I have a bit of wind to deal with but would like an all around bullet. I would like to set the .308 and 7 mag up for my sitting hill top guns. The BC's look good on those rounds but don't have a lot of knowledge yet and would like to find the ideal round with out wasting a ton of time and money trying to find it on my own.

You might consider the 7mm Berger 180 gr VLD Hunting bullet. This has a very good G7 ballistic coefficient. This will help retain velocity and reduce wind deflection.

I would like to set them up for 1,000 yards. I will not shot a deer at that distance but would like to be able to become a distance shooter without having to change rounds all the time. Or is that not realistic?

I'm not a fan of Matchkings for game, at least not in small bore calibers. I do like the A-max at reasonable velocities. You might also check out Hornady's new ELD-X.

I was given a 5th edition nosler book. Just wondering if there is anything in there I could use? From what I have seen so far not. Just wondering?

There's been mixed reviews on the long range accubond, so I haven't tried them. The original accubonds are great on game, but their BC isn't so great. Same with the partition.

I would like to set them up for 1,000 yards. I will not shot a deer at that distance but would like to be able to become a distance shooter without having to change rounds all the time. Or is that not realistic?

Between the .308 and the 7mm, given your wish list, I'd concentrate on the 7mm.

Both the .308 and the 7mm will put rounds out to 1,000 yards. A . 308 can go farther, but one starts pushing the limitations of the cartridge. A 7mm will definitely go beyond 1,000 yards.

Compare the ballistic properties on any of a number of Internet sites for more specific comparisons.

Not helping with your OP, but...where in ND are you from?

I am up in the NE corner and do lots of LR stuff. Always looking for new shooters to goof off with!! :D

Tod

Bismarck, I also hunt in the Fredonia, Lehr area and Mott area (south central and south west). I use open sites my whole life. I just sited in both the rifles the other day. (the wife was good to me for xmas). Never used a scope before 2 weeks ago and figured now is a good of a time as any to get into the long range stuff. I got addicted while siting them in. Been reading up ever since. I found this site and wanted advise from guys that have been doing this for awhile and know what they are doing.

Guessing you are in Grand Forks area?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.