New LR Gun

idefendem

I am an experiended reloader and own and shoot several 270, 243 and 30 cal custom hunting rigs. Having spent big bucks on my full custom guns, I am considering a factory-new Rem Sendero II in 7mm Rem mag as a platform for a combo long range hunting and target gun. I am hoping to spend some trigger time on it before upgrading to a blueprinted action and custom barrel. I am curious if anyone is using the 7mm as a 1000 yard shooter and what powder and bullets are the best choice. Also, since I have not re scoped any of my hunting guns in 7 years I am woefully behind the power curve regarding the new generation of scopes and all the various "bells and whistles." It seems there are far too many choices and the learning curve is steeper than the good ol' days. Any experiences, thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated!!

I am an experiended reloader and own and shoot several 270, 243 and 30 cal custom hunting rigs. Having spent big bucks on my full custom guns, I am considering a factory-new Rem Sendero II in 7mm Rem mag as a platform for a combo long range hunting and target gun. I am hoping to spend some trigger time on it before upgrading to a blueprinted action and custom barrel. I am curious if anyone is using the 7mm as a 1000 yard shooter and what powder and bullets are the best choice. Also, since I have not re scoped any of my hunting guns in 7 years I am woefully behind the power curve regarding the new generation of scopes and all the various "bells and whistles." It seems there are far too many choices and the learning curve is steeper than the good ol' days. Any experiences, thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated!!
Things haven't changed much.

On the higher end of things but not the top IOR Valdada Tactcicals, Leupold Mark 4 and Leupold VXIII's will still get the job done for you every time and when something does break they have a no BS warranty.

Night Force is a good scope but for what they are I think they are over priced I prefer the optics of the IOR's and Mark 4's.

I prefer over all reticules the MP8 from IOR. Next is the TMR and mil dots from Leupold.

Go with any of the above and you won't regret it today, tomorrow or decades from now because they'll still be here and honoring their warranties.

When it comes to Magnification 10x will get the job done on anything larger than a coyote with ease. I like more on my LR scopes though because I don't carry a spotter.

In fact I've killed bobcats out to 1,100yds with a 10x Zeiss conquest and I'd put Zeiss on the above list as well. The conquest is a midrange "American" model but they are limited to 1" tubes.

Now you can get six hundred other opinions LOL

Thanks.

I ordered the Sendero yesterday and so have a few days to settle on glass. I am leaning towards the Leupold 6.5x20x50mm M5A2 mil dot; need to make a call to the Leupold Custom shop because, of course, want it in silver finish to match the stainless pipe. As a standard option Leup offers any color in the world...as long as it is black. They do also have a very good customer service dept that has helped me in the past.

I looked also at the Bushnell Elite line. As far as I can determine from a very limited review and inspection they seem to have pretty good glass for a $600.00 scope. I LOVED the NightForce, but did not love the price.

While I am breaking in the barrel, I have plenty of glass around here to make do until my mind, my wallet and a tuned 175g Berger VLD re load are made up.

There is so little you can really learn about a scope in a gun shop. I reallyu have to spend some time behind a scope to get a feel for it. The earnest, but rather young and inexperienced employee who assisted me was limited to handing me catalogs in response to questions. Nice. That is the beauty of this site. I learn a lot more of the goods and bads from experienced users. It really helps save time.

Now, to wisk this past She-who-must-be-obeyed without unwanted scrutiny, I just need a(nother) good cover story.....

Thanks again for the reply, WildRose.

Thanks.

I ordered the Sendero yesterday and so have a few days to settle on glass. I am leaning towards the Leupold 6.5x20x50mm M5A2 mil dot; need to make a call to the Leupold Custom shop because, of course, want it in silver finish to match the stainless pipe. As a standard option Leup offers any color in the world...as long as it is black. They do also have a very good customer service dept that has helped me in the past.

I looked also at the Bushnell Elite line. As far as I can determine from a very limited review and inspection they seem to have pretty good glass for a $600.00 scope. I LOVED the NightForce, but did not love the price.

While I am breaking in the barrel, I have plenty of glass around here to make do until my mind, my wallet and a tuned 175g Berger VLD re load are made up.

There is so little you can really learn about a scope in a gun shop. I reallyu have to spend some time behind a scope to get a feel for it. The earnest, but rather young and inexperienced employee who assisted me was limited to handing me catalogs in response to questions. Nice. That is the beauty of this site. I learn a lot more of the goods and bads from experienced users. It really helps save time.

Now, to wisk this past She-who-must-be-obeyed without unwanted scrutiny, I just need a(nother) good cover story.....

Thanks again for the reply, WildRose.
I have two just like that and love them. I like the IOR better because they are not as bright, but have better definition and contrast especially in extreme low light.

Memorize the following...

"But honey with this I can shoot twice as far, fill the freezer twice as fast, and spend more time with you and the kids".... .

i use 6.5-20 leup mainly. i have a bushnell elite and i like it. i use 168 berger in my 7mm the 180 are good but kick more . i use h-1000 and h-4831 and wlrm my 7mm has vais on it.

Well the rig is set and ready: M700, Sendero SFII in 7mm Rem Mag (love that 26" fluted pipe!) 6.5x20x50 Zeiss Conquest, Harris bipod, DNZ one-piece 20MOA and a second "standard mount" DNZ for hunting (inside 500yds)-should I choose to rest my go-to Rugers1B in '06 and 45-70 for a season and lug this 11lb (as dressed) beast into the field. The one flaw is that the barrel channel on the HS stock is somewhat uneven on the right side and will need some touch up sanding to even out both sides.

I have been prepping brass and have several lots loaded with Sierra's, Hornandy and Bergers from 150's to 175's to keep me interested while I shoot out any tooling marks in the barrel. All told I am into this rig for about 3k. Not too bad considering all things. One aside, I ran my hawkeye borescope down the pipe and was impressed. Of all the factory metal I have purchased in the last 10 years the Sendero barrel has the fewest tooling marks I have seen. Lands are even and clean and it looks more like a custom pipe than a factory Rem barrel. It must have been made on Wed or Thursday using a new, sharp reamer. One wonders why Rem is discontinuing the Sendero line (so rumor has it, anyway).

I will post range results and some boudoir photos of the new rig as soon as it quits raining and I can get to the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.