New LR Deer/Goat Gun

Hntbambi

Ok, I have the big critters covered with a custom Rem 700 in 300 Wby and a brand new 700P in 338 LM. I have a 700PSS in .308 Win so the .30 calibers are pretty much covered.

I have a Rem 721 long action (.473" bf) that is sitting in my toolbox that has gone way too long without a barrel. I am thinking about building a gun for deer/pronghorn sized critters. I am wanting something with light to moderate recoil so no magnums. I have had my fill of wildcats and no longer are interested in them, so a commercial cartridge is a must. It will be set up like a Sendaro platform, as I have the stock and have fitted the 721 already. The gun will have a 26" fluted barrel to reduce the weight a tad as it will be used as a deer gun.

Since it has a .473" bolt face, I am leaning towards a 6.5-284 Lapua with a long throat to make the most out of this cartridge with the 140+ gr bullets.

Any suggestions or other opinions are welcome.

Hmmmmmm,

You have your parameters pretty well defined and to my way of thinking you thinkin' is pretty much spot on.

I have a Rem 721 long action (.473" bf): A great action especially for the cartridge you are focusing on. Should have no trouble with OverAll Length. Plus the mag should feed properly. Possibly a little adjustment may be needed but nothing extravagant would be necessary.

I have a 721 rigged for single shot in 270 Allen Magnum that is really sweet. Single shot to avoid magazine limitations with long bullets in the 300 RUM case.

Thinking about building a gun for deer/pronghorn sized critters.

The 6.5 cal bullet selection is great. In the 284 case they should be a great longrange ticket for the game you mention.

The Lapua brass makes things even better. Especially if you wish to push things a bit.

I am wanting something with light to moderate recoil so no magnums. Should be moderate recoil but I'd still seriously consider a good brake to ensure ability to spot the shot at any distance you shoot.

A commercial cartridge is a must. The 6.5-284 pretty much fits this requirement. But don't leave your loaded cartridges at home.:)

It will be set up like a Sendaro platform, as I have the stock and have fitted the 721 already. The gun will have a 26" fluted barrel to reduce the weight a tad as it will be used as a deer gun. This is a tough one. Much personal preference. I have a 270 Win on a Mauser 98 w/a 27" Lilja light unfluted. I think it's a Number 4??? I wanted it to be as long range as practicable for the Winnie. Accuracy is scary. Weight is a bit heavy due to the chunk of walnut on it. Circa 1966 Fajen thumbhole. Great for deer to way farther than I would have guessed w/140s.

However, the fluted barrel is a bit sexier but the important thing is placing that first shot where you want it.

I am leaning towards a 6.5-284 Lapua with a long throat to make the most out of this cartridge with the 140+ gr bullets.

My recommendation would be to continue to go as you are. And consider a new trigger. The 721's trigger, at least mine, is wonderful during the cold months but has creep during the summer months and I'm too tight to replace it.:rolleyes:

Ok, I have the big critters covered with a custom Rem 700 in 300 Wby and a brand new 700P in 338 LM. I have a 700PSS in .308 Win so the .30 calibers are pretty much covered.

I have a Rem 721 long action (.473" bf) that is sitting in my toolbox that has gone way too long without a barrel. I am thinking about building a gun for deer/pronghorn sized critters. I am wanting something with light to moderate recoil so no magnums. I have had my fill of wildcats and no longer are interested in them, so a commercial cartridge is a must. It will be set up like a Sendaro platform, as I have the stock and have fitted the 721 already. The gun will have a 26" fluted barrel to reduce the weight a tad as it will be used as a deer gun.

Since it has a .473" bolt face, I am leaning towards a 6.5-284 Lapua with a long throat to make the most out of this cartridge with the 140+ gr bullets.

Any suggestions or other opinions are welcome.

In an effort to keep it simple I would recomend a 280 Remington. Lots of factory ammo with
light to heavy bullets (90 grains to 190) .

I would recomend 120 to 150 grain bullets for deer size game.

There is nothing tricky about the 280 ,just a 30-06 necked to .284.

Look at the ballistics and I think you will be impressed.

Just a though.

J E CUSTOM

HntBambi,
I have recently be through same mine field myself, I shoot a 6.5-284 in F-Class tried it on game at 500 yrds and yeah it works really well!
140 gr AMax they just dropped!

BUT... Just to get a bit more "whooph" for the "ooh bit far back or DOH! not quite on the money!!":rolleyes: Lets be honest, it happens.

Ive gone for the straight 284 shooting the 162 AMax 28" trueflite #4 Fluted on a Barnard action, Im waiting for a stock so at the moment Ive got it in my Manners T2.

Now the velocity I was after was 2900 FPS so after running in the barrel Ive done some load testing over a Chrony,( before I continue these figures seem to good to be true and I am going to check them over another chrony before really getting too excited, and I wont give the load figures either, until Im 100% sure) but my average velocity with silky smooth bolt lift is 3166 FPS, a ES of 6 FPS with a 162 AMax the 5 shot group @ 100 measured .4
SCARY stuff aye.

So on that... the 284 is a little fiddly having to neck up Lapua 6.5-284 brass then neck turning(depending on reamer) etc but a great performer all the same
If I didnt already have 6.5-284 dies to use(all I needed was a Seater die and a the right size bush) I would have gone to the 280 IMP.

300WSMMAD

Holey Moley 300WSMMAD thoughs are great numbers for the 284, faster than my 7mm mag. Still quite likely considering the extra 2" in the barrel, a quality, strong action and great Lapua brass.

Stu.

There are some good suggestions above. I have shot some deer with the 6.5x284 and love it, and right now I've got a 280 that I'll hunt with this year. Since you have some of the bigger cals I would just stick with the 6.5 284. My 280 is 9.5lbs and the recoil is not bad, but if I had a 300 I would have built a 6.5. My 6.5 was incredibly accurate and dropped the hell out of some deer.

Hi Stu,
Yeah the words "#$%@ me!" came out pretty quickly too!

I do have doubts in the chrony I was using, it was used by another club member straight after me who shoots service rifles and his figures were what he expected, however I will still try it over another chrony soon.
I have extsrapalted information for various loading manuals and in theory I should be reaching 3077 fps which I will still be happy with.

I have built this rifle for our smaller light skinned game goats, fallow, sika etc,

It has been made lightish 11 lbs Complete, Bibods are almost a pound, with no muzzle break, and the results so far have been fantastic!

I will keep you posted on results.

300WSMMAD

Thanks for the info guys! Like Arthur mentioned, if I did not have all of the .30 caliber guns (.308 Win, 30-06, 30-06AI, 300 Wby) I would go with the 7mm stuff. Since I do have them, I can't see stepping down just one caliber. The light weight bullets (140 gr) with a high BC is the real thing that impresses me about the 6.5mm. Personally, I would not shoot at game much over 500 yards, and really I feel comfortable with the .308 Win at that distance. If I feel the need to get out much farther, I have the 300 Wby and 338 LM.

So far, I am leaning to sticking with the 6.5-284.

What about the 6.5x55 Swede. You have a long action that will work great for this round and the high bc bullets and still use the magazine. The other great thing is that you can get Lapua brass, military ammo for plinking, and can load it up hotter than manuals conservancy due to feeble military actions. You could almost attain 6.5x284 velocities and still have have cheaper ammo for practice. Just a thought.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.