New long range scope for Remington 700bdl 7mag

Remington92

(I posted this in the optics section but it maybe better suited up here, sorry mods)

Hey all I just picked up a cherry remington 700 bdl for 360 bucks but it came with a junk 3x9 tasco. After checking it at the range I was only 1/2" off the bullseye at 300yds so the rifle is a shooter!! I'd like to make this my primary deer/ elk gun for Montana but need to put some decent glass on it. Is it realistic to hope this rifle could shoot 800-1000yds? If so what glass under 650 would y'all recommend? Right now I'm looking at

Vortex Viper has 4x16x44
Nikon monarch 4x16x42
Leupold vx3i 4.5x15x40

I used to be a die hard gold ring fan but after having 2 vx3 scopes bite the dust this I'm a little gun shy. (Leupold took care of both no questions asked) heard really good things about vortex but never tried them and I've got an original monarch 4x12x42sf that's on an ar for coyotes and seems to be a decent scope.

Thanks in advance!

(I posted this in the optics section but it maybe better suited up here, sorry mods)

Hey all I just picked up a cherry remington 700 bdl for 360 bucks but it came with a junk 3x9 tasco. After checking it at the range I was only 1/2" off the bullseye at 300yds so the rifle is a shooter!! I'd like to make this my primary deer/ elk gun for Montana but need to put some decent glass on it. Is it realistic to hope this rifle could shoot 800-1000yds? If so what glass under 650 would y'all recommend? Right now I'm looking at

Vortex Viper has 4x16x44
Nikon monarch 4x16x42
Leupold vx3i 4.5x15x40

I used to be a die hard gold ring fan but after having 2 vx3 scopes bite the dust this I'm a little gun shy. (Leupold took care of both no questions asked) heard really good things about vortex but never tried them and I've got an original monarch 4x12x42sf that's on an ar for coyotes and seems to be a decent scope.

Thanks in advance!
Leupold VX3I would be my pick from that list but I'd go with the 4.5-14x50. The increased light gathering capability of the 50mm Diameter can make or break you in those golden minutes when the light is fading or in cloudy/foul conditions where light is hard to come by.

Vortex Viper has 4x16x44
Nikon monarch 4x16x42
Leupold vx3i 4.5x15x40

Thanks in advance!

The cartridge is capable, whether the gun is, will determine how consistently it shoots and how well it groups. I am a huge 700 fan, and you got a great deal on a BDL.

For 800-1000 yards, here' the glass I recommend for your rifle...

Scope: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...-reticle-matte

Rings (low height): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...le-rings-matte

Base (select BDL Long Action): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...00-long-action

The cartridge is capable, whether the gun is, will determine how consistently it shoots and how well it groups. I am a huge 700 fan, and you got a great deal on a BDL.

For 800-1000 yards, here' the glass I recommend for your rifle...

Scope: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...-reticle-matte

Rings (low height): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...le-rings-matte

Base (select BDL Long Action): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...00-long-action

Hey mudrunner can you try those links again? When I click on them midway says it can't find whatever it's looking for. Thanks!

Vortex or Leupold are both good for the money. I would suggest you look at a Super Sniper from SWFA.com; the 3-15x44 is a great scope and within your price range.

Vortex Viper has 4x16x44
Nikon monarch 4x16x42
Leupold vx3i 4.5x15x40

Thanks in advance!

Under $650...
Shoot 800-1000 yards...
Are you limited to these three brands or open to others as well?
I believe the Burris Veracity is the scope to beat for what you're attempting to do. With the MAD system, you should have enough adjustment (25 MOA) to make it out to 1,000 yards. I love the 2 Veracitys I own (2-10 and 5-25). With a google search, I was able to find the 3-15 on sale for $679.00, which is $29 over where you wanted to be, but Burris is running a $100 mail in rebate through the end of the year!

Vortex Viper has 4x16x44
Nikon monarch 4x16x42
Leupold vx3i 4.5x15x40

Thanks in advance!

"realistic to hope this rifle could shoot 800-1000yds?"

Why certainly! All you gotta do is get you one of the scopes with an objective lens bout the size of a lard bucket, some knobs atop and come on here and you'll get first hand knowledge about how to make 1000 yard shots....no problem! After 25 or so rounds of practice.....you'll be good to go!!:cool:

I am very happy with my Nikon Monarch 3 4x16x42 Mil Dot scope I have mounted on my Remington 700 30 06.Besides good glass and holding zero, My favorite feature is their"Eye Box " technology and generous 4" eye relief. This makes it easier to shoulder the rifle and get a good Sight picture instantly. I like this scope so much I bought another one from Natchez Shooters Supply when they had one on sale for $360 or so.I have not used the 2nd one much since I have been focused on my hunting rifles.

I have a 25+ year-old Vari-X II 4x12x40 AO atop my 7MM Rem Mag. It's my favorite scope. I have many Vari-X III's and VX-3's, but my 4x12x40 is my favorite.

Leupold has excellent customer service. Every so often, I'll send in a few Leupolds back to Leupold for inspection. It's free. So far, no damage. But it's good to know that I can send my scopes in for inspection. It's peace of mind before a hunt.

BTW, I've never sent my 4x12x40 AO to Leupold for inspection. It has always proved to be a far better scope than its price would indicate.

I do love German glass. But the reality is we'll look though out scopes for maybe 5 minutes a day. I just returned from a Utah deer hunt. I was after antlers. I never took my scope covers off. I could've burned powder on small bucks, but I wasn't after small bucks.

It's hard to beat Leupold quality. And they're made in America. I always try to support Americans' jobs.

If I thought that I needed the best, I'd go German glass.

My vote would be for the Leupold! I have a Vx6 & vx3 on two 7mm's, both work great. Nothing wrong with any of the 3 scopes you mentioned, my opinion would be go to a local store that has all 3 and see how they each look through YOUR eyes!!! Not sure the warranty on the Nikon but Leupold & Vortex are as good as they get!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.