New Long Range Hunter...an odyssey

NHGriff

Hello all...I've been lurking on here for a long time and finally got bitten by the bug. It's not an easy proposition being from New Hampshire as long range hunting just isn't done much here. There are some bench rest shooters that I can turn to for some local help but not too many.

I need some help on what to do next. I secured a whitetail tag for Kansas and have a good place to hunt that should easily get me a 300 yard shot or longer. After much research I was able to find and purchase a Savage model 111 LRH in 6.5 X 284.

SavageLRH.jpg
[/IMG]

So now what should be my next step? What base, rings, scope do you recommend? I want to get out shooting this soon so I'll have time to practice before I leave for KS in late November.
Also I currently don't reload so what factory ammo can I start with? I have a friend with a reloader that will be helping soon but he's busy this month with home improvement projects. I figure as long as I'm buying brass I might as well buy ammo and fireform it to my chamber while sighting it in.

I'll be keeping this thread going to chronicle my progression and hopefully culminate this with pic's of a nice whitetail buck.

I like the looks of the Savage LRH and getting it in a 6.5-284 maybe about as sweet as it gets!

Ammo wise I would see if you could find some HSM ammo, part of there web site is down but it may be worth a call to find some and give them a try. They load with Bergers and others.

Farrel bases are real nice on a Savage, on the cheep I use EGW but it seems you need to bed them but that is no big deal. I like the heavy tac rings like the Burris or Weaver.

Adjust your Accutrigger and make sure the barrel and tang are well floated and it should be GTG gun)

Good luck, it will be interesting to watch!

I've begun looking for a decent optic choice for this caliber. I'm mostly looking in the Optics classifieds because there are such good deals there. I'm currently thinking of Talley rings with a 4x16 scope with no larger than a 44 objective. Any reason I should be looking at 50mm or larger?

Yeah, because they look cool! Seriously though, some will say they gather more light and hunting shots usually come at dawn or dust when it is getting dark. I believe light gathering has more to do with quality of the glass, glass coating, and scope design. I don't own any scope with an objective lens over 42mm. They mount lower and do all I have asked of them. I have never lost an animal to scope objective size.

i do not care for scope with a n objective larger than 42 . 40 is even better. i like the bushnell 4200 as a good inexpensive scope

I'm selling my Falcon Optics Menace, 4-14x44 FFP mildot in burris xtreme rings right now. It's in the classifieds. I was happy with it, did everything I asked of it, I just want a higher mag scope for my real LR gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.