New long range elk gun

How's the recoil on the xbolt 300 win mag? What's it comparable to?
Deserthunter86: just bought the Burgura HMR-PRO in the 300 Win Mag. And like the Winchester "winlite 300 Win Mag" this also will have a mussel Break. The one on the Winchester is a KDF. And the recoil is about a 22-250. As the HMR-PRO is just a bit heavier with a Break it should be the "Same" if not better! A friend just bought a teaka in 300 Win Mag, was about ready to get rid of it. Recoil! After some 8-10 rounds his shoulder was beat! Tryed mine with the KDF. Shot a box. 20 rounds! T shirt on! Went and put on on his, loves the Rifle now! God bless the Break!

For that kind of money and a factory rifle I would take a long look at Sako. Lots of models and lots of calibers to choose from. I have always loved the Sako actions and never seen one that didn't shoot. When I had a long range rifle built I would have bought an off the shelf Sako if it came in Left handed, stainless, and 7mm STW. Supposedly they made them at one time but not any longer when I was looking and I certainly couldn't find one used. I had my heart set on those three items and the length of the 7mm STW (or 28 nosler which is basically a younger twin) limits your choice of actions somewhat. I bought a Browning A-bolt left hand stainless 375 H&H with 9 rounds through it, took it to a gunsmith and had it rebarrelled in 7mm STW and the action trued for considerably under your price range. A few years later I switched out the factory stock for a McMillan which raised the price of the gun before optics up close to but still a whisker under your limit.

As much as I love my STW, when people are asking about an elk gun I always recommend a 300 WM, everybody makes one, every podunk store has ammo, heck if you drop yours in the river chances are you can stop by any random elk camp and somebody will have ammo on hand you can maybe buy a few rounds off of, and there are a billion bullet choices in 30 cal for the reloader. Just a ton of choices from brand of rifle, action, to ammo for the 300

This is the stuff I hate to see, but this is the point I always try to make. Paying more helps decrease the odds of a lemon, but there's always a possibility. I've seen it happen a good bit with other "custom" production rifles. It's sad to see, but this is why I push to just pay the extra, buy the parts, and have a smith do the metal work. Or just order a full custom rifle from a reputable gunsmith.
Custom rifles can be lemons too....even reputable smiths put out some bad stuff every once in a while. Threads on here about that stuff all too often.

Custom rifles can be lemons too....even reputable smiths put out some bad stuff every once in a while. Threads on here about that stuff all too often.

I agree but custom rifles should also all be proofed before they are boxed up and shipped out. From some of the stories I've read about on here there were obviously rifles shipped out that weren't even shot before being boxed. This is the shameful part of this business. Sure the good builders will say "ship it back and we'll take a look at it" but this should never have to happen. This might be more to happen with high dollar off the shelf rifles but quality control seems to really be lacking now a days.

The two guys that work on my guns both send a target with a five shot group and the brass that was used that policy eliminates problems and that's also the reason I only use those two gentlemen

The CA Ridgeline is a fantastic rifle for the $$ with great calibers to choose from. I have zero complaints with either of mine (300 RUM and 6.5 PRC). In your price range though, there are several good options.

Having a Smith build you a gun still has no guarantees. Yes your much more likely to get an accurate rifle but you just never know until you get it built. It can come with headaches.

I am looking at getting a larger mid to longer range rifle for elk hunting or if i like it enough probably deer hunting as well. I'm trying to keep it at or under the $2000 mark and have been recently looking at the christiansen arms ridgeline 28 nosler and have been reading mixed reviews about them. Does anyone have something else they would prefer or have thoughts about the quality/accuracy of the Christiansen arms? I've liked them in the store but don't want to buy something I am going to struggle to get to shoot accurately
Have the CA Summit Ti in 338 RUM, extremely accurate .416" 5-shot string, it's just a little more than the 2k you want to spend. But it gets the job done.. loves 250gr Accubonds and 300gr Berger's ... elk thumper.. good luck

Thankyou all for your suggestions. I ended up going with the browning x bolt hells canyon lr in .300 win mag. I am picking up some warne bases and rings and topping it with a vortex viper hst 4-16 for now until I put something a little lighter on it for the mountains. I am going to try the Berger 210 vld and nosler 200 accubond to start as this rifle has a 1 in 8 twist for the heavier bullets. I will keep you guys posted how it shoots.

Thankyou all for your suggestions. I ended up going with the browning x bolt hells canyon lr in .300 win mag. I am picking up some warne bases and rings and topping it with a vortex viper hst 4-16 for now until I put something a little lighter on it for the mountains. I am going to try the Berger 210 vld and nosler 200 accubond to start as this rifle has a 1 in 8 twist for the heavier bullets. I will keep you guys posted how it shoots.

Nice. I have the same rifle in 6.5 PRC and wow does it shoot good right out of the box.

Go with the 215 bergers over the 210's they have a hybrid ogive and shorter bearing surface. One makes it less sensitive to seating the other gives it a bit more speed than the 210's. It is also a proven elk bullet in the 300 win.

So I actually went to scheels today and looked at the hells canyon in a 300 win mag today and honestly I like that just about as much as the christiansen arms. I have talked to a few people I know as well who have been steering me clear of the CA due to some problems they have been hearing about which heard a little about as well. I am going back to think about this for a little bit now to see where I go from all everyones help here. If i go with the browning though I won't be getting it in 28 though. Scheels couldn't have them until mid 2020

I don't know if this is a nation wide thing or just our local Scheels in Billings, but the Scheels here has a satisfaction guarantee on all of the firearms sold there. If you buy CA, or an sps and just aren't happy with how it shoots, they'll give you your money back. Basically you get whatever accuracy guarantee you want. I'm not a big fan of paying full retail for much, but if I'm buying a brand new gun that's where I go. You don't have to deal with the manufacturer if your not happy, you just go get another one. I've had some rough luck with a couple pistols that I bought there, I took them back with no issues at all.
Something to consider when spending that kind of money, it's nice to know you won't have to wait for a new gun or your money if your not happy with it.

I don't know if this is a nation wide thing or just our local Scheels in Billings, but the Scheels here has a satisfaction guarantee on all of the firearms sold there. If you buy CA, or an sps and just aren't happy with how it shoots, they'll give you your money back. Basically you get whatever accuracy guarantee you want. I'm not a big fan of paying full retail for much, but if I'm buying a brand new gun that's where I go. You don't have to deal with the manufacturer if your not happy, you just go get another one. I've had some rough luck with a couple pistols that I bought there, I took them back with no issues at all.
Something to consider when spending that kind of money, it's nice to know you won't have to wait for a new gun or your money if your not happy with it.

I definitely did not know that but I will have to look into it. I am from billings actually but currently working in bismarck for a little while. I have always liked the customer support of scheels and since bass pro bought out cabelas, I don't even go there anymore because of how poor selection in that store has gotten.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.