New Long Range Bullets

Chawlston,

Performance wise, you are correct, the smaller rounds will get a huge boost in ballistic performance, BUT, the 408 based rounds will get that same ballistic boost. The seperation between the conventional rounds and the 408 based wildcats will still be the same.

Richard is designing these bullets intentionally for the 408 based rounds but of course they should work extremely well with the smaller rounds as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Chawlston,

Performance wise, you are correct, the smaller rounds will get a huge boost in ballistic performance, BUT, the 408 based rounds will get that same ballistic boost. The seperation between the conventional rounds and the 408 based wildcats will still be the same.

Richard is designing these bullets intentionally for the 408 based rounds but of course they should work extremely well with the smaller rounds as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that the spread would be the same. However, what I was trying to convey is that some people who were or are on the verge of jumping to the 408 case may sway back to the cases smaller than the 408 with the advent of the more slick bullets. For those that are shooting 2K, I am sure they will just roll the benefit up into the bigger cases.

But, guys like me who only have 1000 yards max to hunt could actually get your 338AM w/300SMK performance (which was leading the performance train last year) out of a 338 Lapua improved case with the new Aluminum tipped bullets.

James

Richard just took the limits of super sonic velocity which in most cases with rounds like my 338 AM were in the 2500-2600 yard range and now pushed them out to the 3000 yard area!!!

With the smaller 338 magnums, you are correct, those that were limited to around 1700-1800 yards with super sonic velocity will not push out to the 2100-2200 yard range with these new bullet designs. IF all goes as predicted with testing that is. I see no reason why it will not but its always wise to be cautiously optomistic!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

"I have also tested some 30 cal versions and those are being worked on as well. The ones I have are 215 and 220 gr and make the 240 gr SMK look silly."

Fiftydriver,

Are these 215 and 220's going to have any chance or working in a 1 in 10 twist? I'm guessing not if they're longer (as your description makes it sound) than the SMK 240.

Chawlston,

My initial thought upon hearing about these bullets was that the 338 RUM would move up to 338 Edge status. The Edge would move up a rung or two and the 408 based ones would be out of sight.

I would say no chance at all but until I try it I should not say that. I have a customers rifle I am finishing up right not with a 1-10 twist. Will throw some and see what happens.

Right now I would say no way.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Chawlston,

My initial thought upon hearing about these bullets was that the 338 RUM would move up to 338 Edge status. The Edge would move up a rung or two and the 408 based ones would be out of sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, folks that would have been satisfied with the performance of a 338AM last year MIGHT be able to get that without having to go the route of the 408 cases if the bullets work well. It could make the EDGE the best bang for the buck.

James

[ QUOTE ]
These are 300 grain 338 cal by Widcat bullets.Richard is having the aluminum tips machined. These were the first proto types I believe.Richard is changeing the ogive on the next model proto type and has sent them out to few guys to try..........

[/ QUOTE ]

I would volunteer to be a tester! Maybe the 5r Rock barrel would not blow them up.

I volunteered to use his 300 grain original 338 RBBT bullet to get into the 2000 yard club but there were problems with the die I was told. That was two years ago.....I thought maybe we'd have some bullets to try by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Perhaps these new aluminum tipped bullets will be worth the wait but it sounds like Richard is going to be planting crops when most guys are trying new loads for hunting season. I would like to get some if possible? I don't care how much they would cost. Let's just get some out and in use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.