New Lightweight Rifle

I recently had a custom 300 win mag built for me, with intention of going out west (I'm in Virginia) on an elk hunt or something similar. My intention were to build a fairly lightweight rifle, and the specs were as follows -

Action - Defiance Hunter LA
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26"
Trigger - Jewel Trigger
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington 700
Scope Rings - Leupold Mark 4 ALUMINUM
Scope - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50

However this rifle didn't exactly end up being all the light, however it is extremely accurate within what I have practiced at. (Has not been beyond 300 yards, however I do plan to practice out to 600/750)

So, I am looking to build a rifle for strictly whitetail/black bear in Virginia, light as I can possibly get, like super light. Something I can sling around and walk mountains with.

I am not opposed to a light factory, yet accurate option. I also am not opposed to having one built.

Does anyone have a lightweight rifle they swear by? That can reach 300-400 yards accurately.

Thanks guys, let me know.

tikka. Very light. Pretty dam accurate for a factory. At least mine is. I replaced cheap bottom metal to a aluminum after market. I Bedded the action. Etc. gun shoots a legit .75 Moa out to 400 yards. I use hold over.
draw back is clip space is short but I use this gun for what it is which is a pack around light weight gun that packs a thump
300 win
H1000 80 grains. 3030 is the sweet spot
180 gr Hornady interlock or noslear accubond. Loves the interlock.

I recently had a custom 300 win mag built for me, with intention of going out west (I'm in Virginia) on an elk hunt or something similar. My intention were to build a fairly lightweight rifle, and the specs were as follows -

Action - Defiance Hunter LA
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26"
Trigger - Jewel Trigger
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington 700
Scope Rings - Leupold Mark 4 ALUMINUM
Scope - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50

However this rifle didn't exactly end up being all the light, however it is extremely accurate within what I have practiced at. (Has not been beyond 300 yards, however I do plan to practice out to 600/750)

So, I am looking to build a rifle for strictly whitetail/black bear in Virginia, light as I can possibly get, like super light. Something I can sling around and walk mountains with.

I am not opposed to a light factory, yet accurate option. I also am not opposed to having one built.

Does anyone have a lightweight rifle they swear by? That can reach 300-400 yards accurately.

Thanks guys, let me know.

Have been super pleased with my Kimber Adirondack in 308. Weighs around 5.5lbs with a Leupold 3-9. Feels like a toy and is unreal accurate with 165 Accubonds.

Tons of options like others have said.

You cannot build anything much lighter than the kimber accent or the seekins element. Especially for the price.

Remember when building a lightweight rifle--everything counts.

My mountain rifle is sub 8lbs scoped and loaded with 3 rounds it is

Mesa Ti short action
22 in proof sendero carbon (should have went sendero light CF-I'd have saved 3-4 oz--see)--in a 7 SAUM
Manners EH1 CF stock ADL bottom metal
Ti brake--custom
Calvin elite trigger
Vortex aluminum rings
Swarovski Z5 3.5x18 BT (not because it was my favorite scope..but it dials and is light)

Just remember...everything matters...if they made lefty's I'd buy a seekins element tomorrow.

Back when I was 11 years of age, (1967), I purchased my new Mohawk 600 308 for $104.00 out the door. Back in constitutional days. I had been working so I could have a hunting rifle when I was allowed to hunt big game at 12. With open sights it would make a five inch group at 500 yards. I was young, did not have old man muscle twitches then and my eyes could see a louse on an eagle. If I remember correctly 3.75 pounds, 18.25 inch barrel, had the butt stock cut to fit me, leather sling stiffened things up. Wish I still had it. As a young man I would carry that puppy through the mountains all day.
By my father's directions, 1 in the chamber, 5 wrapped in a sock in my pocket. He taught me accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.