New lightweight build

I was referring to the barrel. Man they are proud of them but if they work well and save weight I'll be ok. Now I have the barreled action decided on now I'm on to stocks. I'm looking at the manners eh5 cause it comes in really light for a thumbhole 27 ounces.

Proof barrels look great and man they´re light but... I just finished my 6.5 GAP 4s on a 24" proof barrel and it´s super slow. I´m getting 2920 fps using loaded ammo from copper creek topped with 140 bergers. I also bought 130 berger VLD ammo from them and it gives me 3050fps. I´m getting heavy ejector marks on the case and sticky bolt on both loads. I strongly believe that the barrel has to be very rough on the inside and that is slowing my bullets down and raising the pressure. Other than that, I can´t imagine what else can cause the high pressure/low mv.

It is a very accurate rifle (sub-1/2MOA) and it is super light, but my 6.5 CM launches the same 140gr bullets @ 2950 and does´t require that extra 50% powder.

Proof barrels look great and man they´re light but... I just finished my 6.5 GAP 4s on a 24" proof barrel and it´s super slow. I´m getting 2920 fps using loaded ammo from copper creek topped with 140 bergers. I also bought 130 berger VLD ammo from them and it gives me 3050fps. I´m getting heavy ejector marks on the case and sticky bolt on both loads. I strongly believe that the barrel has to be very rough on the inside and that is slowing my bullets down and raising the pressure. Other than that, I can´t imagine what else can cause the high pressure/low mv.

It is a very accurate rifle (sub-1/2MOA) and it is super light, but my 6.5 CM launches the same 140gr bullets @ 2950 and does´t require that extra 50% powder.

What brass are you using from copper creek? I just finished a 6.5 Saum on a proof bbl that's 24" and it finished at 3090 w 140's with 61 grains H1000.

Ok. Makes sense. The hornady brass is super soft and has to be loaded down to hold the primer pockets. I don't think it's an issue with your proof. I've been around several and they seem to finish right with all the rest.

Amazing him many companies don't return phone calls within a week. Still waiting for some returns about other stocks.

Buddy you're telling me. I think it's too common in this industry. When I get voicemails or send multiple emails anymore I've literally started saying, "I'm trying to give you money. Help me give you my money. Please call me back". Sometimes that helps. :)

I just noticed your post and have no idea where you now are, but here is what I had built and what it weighs.

270 Sherman Shortmag
Lone Peak TI action
Brux 21" #3 fluted Chrome moly (nitride)
Manners EH-4 stock
Wyatts mag box
Timney Calvin Elite trigger
Swarovski AV 4x12 scope
Talley 2 piece aluminum mounts
Weight 7lbs. field ready

By the way, concerning the low velocities with Hornady brass in the GAP, The 6.5 SS will reach 3300' with the Norma brass and you will get a dozen or more loads at 3200+.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.