New life for Mauser 98

firecrackerdad

My wife inherited a Mauser 22 zipper (22-250) from her uncle. However, it was altered in the 1960's to take a 22-3000 cartridge compressed (shorted) according to the notes. Can this rifle be rebored or updated to accommodate a more common cartridge and be used again? It's a pretty cool rifle with a dual set trigger.

You didn't say which model Mauser, but I'm going to assume it's a K98k.
Was it modified (drilled/tapped/bent bolt/low swing safety) for a scope, or is it open sights (and if so- do you want to keep it that way)

It's rarely (if ever) worth the money- when it's geometrically possible- to re-chamber a barrel.
The $$ spent, especially with a 50+ year old barrel would be crazy.

Great project to get it back on the range- but you'd be far better off putting on a new barrel chambered in any of the many cartridges that will feed and extract well with the K98k.

If you're DIY type with your rifles, you can purchase short-chambered prefits that you can install and finish ream the chamber to depth by hand with a small handful of tools (which you can rent as well). Or, any smith can easily handle it.

You didn't say which model Mauser, but I'm going to assume it's a K98k.
Was it modified (drilled/tapped/bent bolt/low swing safety) for a scope, or is it open sights (and if so- do you want to keep it that way)

It's rarely (if ever) worth the money- when it's geometrically possible- to re-chamber a barrel.
The $$ spent, especially with a 50+ year old barrel would be crazy.

Great project to get it back on the range- but you'd be far better off putting on a new barrel chambered in any of the many cartridges that will feed and extract well with the K98k.

If you're DIY type with your rifles, you can purchase short-chambered prefits that you can install and finish ream the chamber to depth by hand with a small handful of tools (which you can rent as well). Or, any smith can easily handle it.
Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately. I am not very knowledgeable about rifles. We do believe it's a 98K. It actually was her grandfather's. I'm going to include some pics and the notes as attachments. It may be best to make this more of a piece of art but I did want to check first. I imagine it was amazing to shoot in the day.

I did remove the scope while trying to decipher info about the gun as I've been unable to find a serial number.

Attachments

• Mauser info.jpg
    Mauser info.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 197
  • rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 192
  • mauser 1.jpg
    mauser 1.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 162
  • mauser 2.jpg
    mauser 2.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 172
Remove the bolt from the receiver and take a pic. The pics you posted don't tell us much except that it was built on a military Mauser action. You should really have a chamber cast made to identify what cartridge the barrel is chambered for. Lots of confusing info there. The ".22 Zipper" is some unknown cartridge. There is an old cartridge known as the ".219 Zipper", but it's a rimmed cartridge. The ".22-3000" is simply the .250-3000 Savage necked down to .22. And then, the barrel is stamped ".22-250 Improved", which is an Ackley Improved .22-250 that's still popular today. Chamber cast and head space gauge time! And, being it was "Grandpas'", I'd probably set it aside and not shoot it much if at all. . They don't build rifles like that one much, anymore.

It's your money...if it were my money and my rifle with historical and sentimental value I'd wonder if it'd make more sense to get dies made to roll your own in whatever that cartridge is and leave the rifle alone. You a handloader?

It's your money...if it were my money and my rifle with historical and sentimental value I'd wonder if it'd make more sense to get dies made to roll your own in whatever that cartridge is and leave the rifle alone. You a handloader?
I'm really just an average consumer. If it's too difficult, I think we'll just make some sort of custom shadow box for it and put pics and mementos of her grandfather in it. I confess that I've been mesmerized with the double trigger and how it works. 😀

Remove the bolt from the receiver and take a pic. The pics you posted don't tell us much except that it was built on a military Mauser action. You should really have a chamber cast made to identify what cartridge the barrel is chambered for. Lots of confusing info there. The ".22 Zipper" is some unknown cartridge. There is an old cartridge known as the ".219 Zipper", but it's a rimmed cartridge. The ".22-3000" is simply the .250-3000 Savage necked down to .22. And then, the barrel is stamped ".22-250 Improved", which is an Ackley Improved .22-250 that's still popular today. Chamber cast and head space gauge time! And, being it was "Grandpas'", I'd probably set it aside and not shoot it much if at all. . They don't build rifles like that one much, anymore.
I'll take those pics when I get a chance.

It doesn't appear to have the step down in size behind the barrel tenon like most Large ring 98's......Could be a small ring 96 or 94. Kinda interesting to see the stamp area decorated like it is, I personally have never seen it obscured like that before on a sporter but I'm far from a Mauser expert. Curious to see the bolt picture.

If the bolt has a guide rib and the 3rd 'safety' locking lug back there, just in front of the bolt handle, you have a '98. The front ring should measure 1.4", although some '98s have a small ring measuring 1.3" in diameter. These are the defining features of the Mauser '98. Distance between guard screws means little as some '98s are of intermediate length, same as the '96 and earlier models.

Serial numbers are stamped adjacent to the recoil lug on the bottom of the action.
It looks like a 98 to me. 96's have that raised knurled lever on the rear of the cocking piece.
I can see the rear safety lug on the bolt in the large picture.

Cheers.

You're right, I had forgotten about that..the only 96 I have has been switched to a 3 position, and I get used to seeing that!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.