New level of accuracy for scopes! (Not really)

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
For anyone who needs a laugh!

So I was on the Athlon Optics website and noticed this little tid bit that should make any machinist or even hobbyist that knows feasible accuracy laugh! This is straight from the website

"The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change"

Now that .0001mm was probably meant to be .0001". I notified them in an email and never got a response so apparently they don't care.

Just to be clear, they are touting a tolerance on their scopes of +/-.0000039". That's a human hair cut into 1000 equal pieces.

I had a Athlon warranty tech tell me that the "grease is froze up", when I contacted him about a fast focus eye piece not moving. I have never been so relieved to dump a scope in my life.

Maybe they don't know the difference. I bought a scope because the claimed 15 ounces. When it arrived it was 1 pound 15 ounces! I called them and they didn't care the printed info was wrong.

Ya, pretty common for me to have to hold +/- .0001" for parts I machine at work.

Being off by a whole pound! Wow. You would think they would want to fix that....

It's purposeful disinformation like that, that ****es me off. They KNOW they're lying, we KNOW they're lying, and they don't care, because it increases their sales to those who don't know how to do metric conversions.

You won't catch me running an Athlon scope.

People don't like threads like this, but sometimes its necessary to weed-out the good and honest companies from the BS companies.

It's purposeful disinformation like that, that ****es me off. They KNOW they're lying, we KNOW they're lying, and they don't care, because it increases their sales to those who don't know how to do metric conversions.

You won't catch me running an Athlon scope.

People don't like threads like this, but sometimes its necessary to weed-out the good and honest companies from the BS companies.
It seems as tho some people or companies don't mind trading on ignorance. Surely the proof readers caught this. Especially that 1lb difference. Disgusting.
Gregg

It seems as tho some people or companies don't mind trading on ignorance. Surely the proof readers caught this. Especially that 1lb difference. Disgusting.
Gregg
My point exactly. Good to see others feel the way I do. Purposefully misleading people, whether free, or for monetary gain, is the same thing as lying to their faces. And that's something that should NOT be tolerated in our sport. We already have enough yuppies trying to cash-in on the "new" trend of LRH... No need to add disinformation to that cluster.

I used to work for a company that held tolerance to 1 micron, or .001mm. It was almost as difficult to measure as it was to hold, and I know because it was my job to calibrate the measuring equipment. 1/10th of that is pretty fine.

My guess is that an extra zero was added by a copy editor in marketing who is so far removed from the technical side they probably never spoke with each other. I think I can overlook 1/10th of a micron, but a pound? Maybe the two sides of the house should really be talking to each other but in all fairness, if you're on the technical side you have limited patience with the marketing folks if they just aren't getting it. Picture the conversation as a Dilbert cartoon and you'll understand.

That and the OP has some seriously fat hair! I mean, 153 microns is huge. I've measured mine in laser micrometers and mine is only around 45 microns in diameter.

Does this mirror make my hair look fat?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.