New Leupolds

Vinnie

Just got a new 2003 leupold catalog.If you haven't seen, the following are new:

Vari-x3 4.5-14x50 long range M1
Vari-x3 6.5-20x50 long range M1
Vari-x3 8.5-25x50 long range M1

It looks like they've discontinued the 4.5-14 LRT.

COOL
grin.gif
-- The M1 Knobs are way better than the regular target knobs.....

Wow this is great.....

The problem is that the 6.5x20 & the 8.5x25 only come with the mil-dot. I don't like mil-dot. I'd rather have a duplex or better yet a leupold dot.

You think they would have learned from nightforces NP-R2 reticle and made a MOA based reticle instead of a mil dot.

Yes it appears that John M. is correct. Those 2 scopes come with the round mil-dot reticle. The 4.5-14 is also available with the Duplex reticle. They all are 30mm tubes with side focus.

What sucks is that I can get the reticle I want from the custom shop, and I dont mind that....

BUT.........

I have to buy the MORE expensive mil-dot in the first place.

FB,

I think the difference here is that before you could get the M1 turrets for windage and elevation, but you couldn't get the M1 side focus knob fitted to a LR/T 6.5-20x or 8.5-25x, so IMHO, it ended up looking kind of dorky. Still worked just fine though, from what I've heard. Guess Leupold decided to give people what they were asking for (in terms of what was probably two of the most popular mods at Premier Reticles). Hope it doesn't negatively impact business for Premier. If I end up getting one of these, I think about the only difference for me would be I would *still* be sending it back to Premier, for a fine duplex instead of a mil-dot. Or I might be able to just ignore it, I guess.

Later,

Monte

I think Premier now is puting the gen-2 mil into the first plane(mil spacing to remain constant throughout the power range) and no longer will even offer second planes recticles on some of these models.

Just something to keep in mind if any of you are involved in you state Hunter Education programs or want to get involved. Many companies give big discounts on scopes, binos, treestands and yes rifles and pistols too, etc to Hunter Ed instructors. For example you could buy the LR 8.5-25 30mm Leupold with any crosshair this year for $575 as a Hunter Ed instructor. Best retail would be in the $750-800 range. These programs are not advertised for obvious reasons but all you normally have to do is email/telephone and give a copy of your instructor card. Not all participate, but enough do to make it worthwhile to ask!

Good Luck

BH

SWFA has two 4.5-14x50 tactical longrange scopes like this listed with Illuminated reticles. One is a mildot and the other a duplex. They say there are no prices because they are new and they don't have them in stock yet, but they say they are coming out. Apparently they are wiating until after the shot show. I want the Illuminated Mildot. I'm not sure why others here have problems with mildots. I've gone exclusively to mildots on all my scopes and like them a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.