New Leupold Scopes

gr8fuldoug

Official LRH Sponsor
Other than being able to share what's available I know no details as I have not seen anything 1st hand

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Boone & Crockett

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-ZL Wind-Plex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Wind-Plex Burnt Bronze

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 6.5-20x40 (1 inch) EFR CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-3HD 6.5-20x50 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 (1 inch) MOA-Ring

VX-Freedom 2-7x33 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 3-9x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 4-12x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) AR-Ballistic

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot SPR

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot BDC

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 MilDot

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 6-18x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 8-24x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

I had noticed almost all the vx-3i scopes were showing discontinued on their website. Very curious to hear what updates the new VX-3HD line has and glad to see more options with the CDS-ZL. The CDS-ZL2 on my VX5 was a big selling point and is about the perfect turret for me for hunting. A google search shows a page on Leupold's website for a VX-3HD but the link doesn't connect you to anywhere, hoping theres an announcement soon.

My buddy needs a scope for his first rifle, maybe the vx-3i line will go on closeout.

Edit to add:
Glad to see the LRP line got dumped, they were beyond ugly.

Last edited:
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Boone & Crockett price?
What's the story behind these? Are you a dealer?
Yes I am a dealer and a supporting vendor here on LRH for over a decade, Camera Land

The VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Boone & Crockett will be $699.99

We are closing out the VX3i's at discounted pricing while supply lasts

Other than being able to share what's available I know no details as I have not seen anything 1st hand

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Boone & Crockett

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-ZL Wind-Plex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Wind-Plex Burnt Bronze

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 6.5-20x40 (1 inch) EFR CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-3HD 6.5-20x50 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 (1 inch) MOA-Ring

VX-Freedom 2-7x33 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 3-9x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 4-12x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) AR-Ballistic

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot SPR

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot BDC

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 MilDot

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 6-18x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 8-24x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR
Where can I find info on the mk3 6-18 and 8-24 ?

Yes I am a dealer and a supporting vendor here on LRH for over a decade, Camera Land

So forgive my ignorance, but is the VX3i the same as the VX-3HD? Do you have a similar VX3i on clearance if it is different than the HD?

Since you are a dealer, maybe you can explain to me, in plain English, how there can be a $2,000 difference in one perfectly fantastic rifle scope and another scope from the same company? In other words, why can I buy a great scope for $600 and the same manufacturer sells a rifle scope that costs $2,600? I can buy a used car with roll-up windows, air conditioning, and 4 rubber tires for $2,000. Is it just my eyes, or is there that much technology in the more expensive scope that genuinely makes that scope worth that much more money? Or is it just because they can get away with a few small-dollar upgrades and people will pay for those things through their noses?

I hear ya Treeslug, my problem is that most of the time I have to order something sight unseen based off reviews on the internet. If they do have a scope in a store looking through one in a well lit store doesn't really do a scope justice.

So forgive my ignorance, but is the VX3i the same as the VX-3HD? Do you have a similar VX3i on clearance if it is different than the HD?
As there will be no SHOT Show, and there are no mfg reps coming around showing new product all I can do is read the same detail you can on Leupolds site about these new scopes. My most honest answer is that no new product can be fairly reviewed till it's out in the market place a few months being used and abused by the general public. That and IMO only that can say what the status of newly released gear.
Yes, we are selling the remaining inventory of VX-3i's at a discount while supplies last
Since you are a dealer, maybe you can explain to me, in plain English, how there can be a $2,000 difference in one perfectly fantastic rifle scope and another scope from the same company? In other words, why can I buy a great scope for $600 and the same manufacturer sells a rifle scope that costs $2,600? I can buy a used car with roll-up windows, air conditioning, and 4 rubber tires for $2,000. Is it just my eyes, or is there that much technology in the more expensive scope that genuinely makes that scope worth that much more money? Or is it just because they can get away with a few small-dollar upgrades and people will pay for those things through their noses?
Since you used the analogy of a car I shall too. Why are some cars $20,000.00 new and some from the same mfg $100,000.00? They will both get you from point A to point B.

In scopes there are many variables:
Optical quality
3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 8x erector.
Quality and style of Turret
Robustness

Is a Tangent Theta worth an excess of $3,000.00? I can say that a Tangent Theta is probably the finest scope made. Yes, it is worth more than other options but saying it's worth X amount of money takes explaining why Tesla's market capitalization is worth more than most other car companies combined while producing a mere fraction of vehicles in comparison. This Bitcoin thing, whatever it is, is worth over $35,000.00 and I have no clue what it is or what its purpose is but it keeps going up in value.
So the question comes down to 2 things, again IMO

What's a dollar really worth and what is it that you want out of a scope?

Best Glass? Best Turret? Best repeatability?

Most quality hunting scopes....Leupold VX-3i, Meopta Meopro, Steiner GS3, Burris FFII, Swarovski Z3, etc will do the job, do it well, last for many years.

When I am asked what makes a great scope my 1st reply is always "Pick a reticle that you love. Every time you pick up the rifle and look through the scope you will be looking at that reticle. If you don't love the reticle you'll never love the scope" The pick magnification that suits your need.

I hope this helps to answer your question

As there will be no SHOT Show, and there are no mfg reps coming around showing new product all I can do is read the same detail you can on Leupolds site about these new scopes. My most honest answer is that no new product can be fairly reviewed till it's out in the market place a few months being used and abused by the general public. That and IMO only that can say what the status of newly released gear.
Yes, we are selling the remaining inventory of VX-3i's at a discount while supplies last

Since you used the analogy of a car I shall too. Why are some cars $20,000.00 new and some from the same mfg $100,000.00? They will both get you from point A to point B.

In scopes there are many variables:
Optical quality
3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 8x erector.
Quality and style of Turret
Robustness

Is a Tangent Theta worth an excess of $3,000.00? I can say that a Tangent Theta is probably the finest scope made. Yes, it is worth more than other options but saying it's worth X amount of money takes explaining why Tesla's market capitalization is worth more than most other car companies combined while producing a mere fraction of vehicles in comparison. This Bitcoin thing, whatever it is, is worth over $35,000.00 and I have no clue what it is or what its purpose is but it keeps going up in value.
So the question comes down to 2 things, again IMO

What's a dollar really worth and what is it that you want out of a scope?

Best Glass? Best Turret? Best repeatability?

Most quality hunting scopes....Leupold VX-3i, Meopta Meopro, Steiner GS3, Burris FFII, Swarovski Z3, etc will do the job, do it well, last for many years.

When I am asked what makes a great scope my 1st reply is always "Pick a reticle that you love. Every time you pick up the rifle and look through the scope you will be looking at that reticle. If you don't love the reticle you'll never love the scope" The pick magnification that suits your need.

I hope this helps to answer your question
gr8fildog: Glad to hear back from you. My question was somewhat rhetorical in that I do have some idea as to why some scopes cost more than other scopes. I still shoot 40-year-old Leupold Goldring scopes because, as you said, I like the reticles. There was a visible difference in a Bushnell scope and a Leupold scope in those days. I have heard that Bushnell now makes good scopes that compare with the lower-end of today's "high-end" scopes.

Since we are using car analogies, my wife drives a Porsche Macan Turbo. If you buy a Porche and there is any upgrade between engines and horsepower, there is a $20,000 plus increase just for the horsepower. Porche can do that because they are Porche, for crying out loud. I know the same thing happens with everything you buy these days. I can almost feel the price difference while driving the Porche daily, yet I believe Porche could sell that horsepower for about one-quarter of what it actually sells it for and still make a profit.

My question is, since my eyes can not see the increase of quality in the glass and technology that would require such a drastic price increase from the same manufacturer for one scope vs. a higher end scope, is the cost worth paying? I have a new 340 Weatherby rifle, and I am looking for a scope for this rifle.

Your patience and knowledge are very much appreciated. I hate to sound ignorant and picky, but this scope will sit in my safe most of the years I own it, and I would like to buy a scope I can afford that will do the job as a hunting rifle scope that my eyes will be comfortable shooting through. I have no intention of spending thousands of dollars more for the Porche of scopes just because someone else might actually be able to see a little better with all the technology. I hope that does not make me sound too stupid.

"My question is, since my eyes can not see the increase of quality in the glass and technology that would require such a drastic price increase from the same manufacturer for one scope vs. a higher end scope, is the cost worth paying? I have a new 340 Weatherby rifle, and I am looking for a scope for this rifle."

IMO, no it is not. Do not pay for something that you will not benefit from