New Leupold reticle

I assume he means this. I believe the hashmarks on the TMR reticle are 1/2 MIL. If so this equates to about 1.7 MOA approximately. On an SFP reticle the subtentions (measurements) of the distance between the hashmarks change as the magnification is changed so there is only one power setting where they will be correct, which is usually at the highest power setting. So if a guy was to drop the power a bit he could get the hashmarks to grow in size in relation to the target and you could come up with a 2 MOA subtention per hash which in a way makes it an MOA reticle.

The thing I don't like about all SFP scopes when using the reticle for aiming is that you better be sure you have the power ring set to the exact same spot each time or else your reticle subtentions will be different every time and so will your POI. That is one of the reasons that many manufacturers use the highest setting or have a detent for the proper setting so it is more repeatable.

Scot E.

That's exactly what I mean. The .5 mil markings will be your 2 MOA mark, and the 1 mil mark will be 4 MOA.

It's not hard to do. You can figure it out mathematically, but the easiest way to do it is to get an MOA grid target, set it out at exactly 25 yards and adjust the power down from max until the reticle matches the grid lines. You can check it again at 100 if you can see your grid clear enough. Then make a mark on the power ring with a silver fine tip sharpie. I've done it. It works.

For a Leupold 14 power (14.3 per Leupold spec), the TMR reticle subtends to MOA right at 13 power mathematically. And the 20 power (actually 19.6 according to spec) subtends MOA at 18 power.

That's exactly what I mean. The .5 mil markings will be your 2 MOA mark, and the 1 mil mark will be 4 MOA.

It's not hard to do. You can figure it out mathematically, but the easiest way to do it is to get an MOA grid target, set it out at exactly 25 yards and adjust the power down from max until the reticle matches the grid lines. You can check it again at 100 if you can see your grid clear enough. Then make a mark on the power ring with a silver fine tip sharpie. I've done it. It works.

For a Leupold 14 power (14.3 per Leupold spec), the TMR reticle subtends to MOA right at 13 power mathematically. And the 20 power (actually 19.6 according to spec) subtends MOA at 18 power.

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at the MK4 TMR in 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. There nice, however, wondering what Leupold is going to do or when they might come out with a MOA reticle!

IMO the TMR is far better than what they are considering. It's not too busy, the hashmarks are clearly identifiable, and the open diamond in the center really makes it nice for picking spots by not covering a portion of the target.

The TMR works great in both FFP and SFP. I just wish they would use it to develop a dedicated MOA reticle to match with the M1 MOA dials on the FFP. In my mind it just makes sense. I can live with it the way it is on the SFP since I don't use my scope for ranging all that often, but I know I can when I need to.

I just wish they would use it to develop a dedicated MOA reticle to match with the M1 MOA dials on the FFP. In my mind it just makes sense. I can live with it the way it is on the SFP since I don't use my scope for ranging all that often, but I know I can when I need to.

That's what I am waiting for!

IMO the TMR is far better than what they are considering. It's not too busy, the hashmarks are clearly identifiable, and the open diamond in the center really makes it nice for picking spots by not covering a portion of the target.

The TMR works great in both FFP and SFP. I just wish they would use it to develop a dedicated MOA reticle to match with the M1 MOA dials on the FFP. In my mind it just makes sense. I can live with it the way it is on the SFP since I don't use my scope for ranging all that often, but I know I can when I need to.

I know this is old but I'm wondering who had the TMOA or the ts32x1 reticle. I'm thinking of putting one in my vx3 6.5x20. Thoughts?

The TS32X1 reticle looks like it might work fine as a target reticle but for hunting it is, IMO, too busy. There's just too much "stuff" in the field of view that I'd have to work through in lining up a shot on game.

The TS32X1 reticle looks like it might work fine as a target reticle but for hunting it is, IMO, too busy. There's just too much "stuff" in the field of view that I'd have to work through in lining up a shot on game.
thats what I'm kind of thinking too. I may put it on a varmint rifle tho. the Tmoa looks like the TMR to me but I cant find any subtensions on it. I love my TMR so if its the same I'm going that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.