New Leupold Mark 3HD / Zeiss Conquest V4 (the sub ~20oz scope choice)

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Just saw that Leupold is coming out with a Mark 3HD...a few differnt flavors, but mostly the same reticle...the Firedot TMR. illum or not.

I just sold my LRTS 4.5-18x44...loved the scope for the price and the function, just wish it was lighter. as i'm working on building a sub 7# rifle.

I was pretty set on the Zeiss V4 in 4-16x44 at 21oz...gets good reviews, seems to track well and return to zero. Not a huge fan of MOA, but is what it is. Pricing is about $900-1000.

Today, i saw that Leupold is coming out with the Mark 3HD...baby brother to the Mark 5HD and the 4-12x40 is tipping the scales at 16oz.

I know the jury is still out on the VX series, some love them, some don't, tracking seems to be a complaint. But Mark 5HD seems to be pretty well received for being a solid functioning scope, good glass, durable and i have not found many threads with complaints about reliability, tracking or return to zero. I'd expect the same from the Mark 3HD...but i guess no way to know.

based on that, what do you guys think about the 4-12x40 Mark 3 at about $700?

its not going on my long range rifle, it's a lightweight build, 7RM, will be used for Elk and muleys out to 700 at best...no bipod and that's about pushing my max comfort zone with a lightweight gun and at best a pack or my tripod.

Any concerns on a 40mm objective or noticable difference between that 44mm? I'd prefer it was a 3x, but beggars cant be choosers. For 16oz i can't really argue. I'd still like to be able to ring steel out to 1k with this and think it's doable but not ideal at 12X.

Wondering overall what you folks think. I'll leave off by saying if Bushnell could have made their 3-12 LRTS in a 16oz package, i'd have already bought it...huge fan of the LRTS

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Combo of midway and a phonecall to the less than knowledgeable leupold "reps"...not alot of info, but alot of emtpy promises made to dealers so far. Excited to see the Mark 3, but doubt it comes out anytime soon (was supposed to be 1 Jan)...

Read on another forum that the internals of the Mark 3 are the same as the VX3, but the turret itself is the same as the Mark 5. Purely hearsay at this point, but I would want that question answered before I bought one. A big difference whether you are getting a stripped down Mark 5, or a tactical VX3.

I called the techs at Leupold yesterday. they would provide no specs. it's not on their website either. All smoke and mirrors at this point. For $599, i have my doubts that they did anything other than take an old design and package it in a shiny new box.

I have 2 Zeiss V4's, one with the T-30 reticle and the other with the ZMOA 2. They are quickly becoming my favorite hybrid hunting/LR optic. My only complaint is at about 0 degrees farenheit, parallax and magnification adjustments start to get stiff. Other than that, they have fantastic glass and have been solid performers when dialing shots out to 1200-1400 yards.

I'd look at the demo optics from Redhawk Rifles. My last V4 was $719

Last edited:
I'm a huge ZEISS fan. Huge. But I had so many issues my V4's. I even had a V6 that had to go back for a broken parallax. Sold it when replacement came. Had a V4 with a reticle that was crooked believe it or not. Second V4 had an eye piece that was similar to my V6 issue which was it did nothing when you'd adjust it. Went back. Sold both replacements. ZEISS has without question the best customer service though. I just happen to have back luck with a few back to back. Don't make them bad....just bad luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.