New "Jamboree" idea

Dave King

It's too late for this year but it's just the right time for next year.

How about we get a pile of us together and book a hunt with a known good long range hunting outfitter or just lump together on a public hunt!

Perhaps we can get a group thing with a outfitter, antelope, mule deer or elk.

It'll give us a year to get funds moved around and get the logistics taken care of.

I was thinking of going back to WY. to hunt speed goats with my bust friend and his buddy if i can get enough wolves to pay for the ticket let me know when and where i have to be back in Alaska and working on wolves no latter than the 1st of Oct. but it sounds like fun to me and i will have my new 6.5 X 300 up by the second week of Nov. and hope to have it bloody by the third week :Coyote slayer
grin.gif

I'm new here on this board but I think I can help with the New Jamboree idea. I live in Cody Wyo, and own and operate a guest ranch. I would be willing to offer the lodging and food at a discount ( because you guys would pitch in ;-) ) as well as research the good areas to hunt as they say "speed goats" (antelope) I would like to see guys from this board get to meet and have some fun. Feel free to e-mail me to discuss this !!! This sounds like a great idea!!!
grin.gif

Dave,
You're ideas get me so reved up!!! I'm in if you can give enough advance notice. Hell, I should even have the new rifle I'm currently planning out with my riflesmith by the time you want to do this thing. As for the game, I like the prospect of "speed goats" best! I've never hunted them (much less taken one), but have always wanted to.

Regards,
D.H.

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: David P. Herne ]

That sounds interesting Wyowhisper.

I think most of the fellows here have some guns they want to reach out with.

My 338/416 Rigby Imp will be there along with some others that like to reach out REAL far.

Let me know when for sure. We need to know about license fees and seasons and such also.

Later
Darryl Cassel

Darryl,

I hope we get enough guys to do this. The dead line for application is March 15th. I will have to check on the price. I think $250ish. Don't quote me on that.
If there are enough interested we can apply as a group. that way if one person in the group draws a license then we all draw!!!

The season is right now thru Oct.

We need to keep on top of this so I have an idea who is interested.

I market my Guest Ranch in Feb. in Harrisburg PA at the sportsman show. I can bring all the info. needed then.

I hope this comes together.. I should have a long range rig put together by then as well.
grin.gif

It sounds interesting to me. If it was part of the last couple weeks in September I could also do my wildlife photo trip to Yellowstone that I just cancelled for tomorrow.

I think this is a great idea, especially with WyoWhisper's little invite. I would shovel some horse pooh, amoung other things, to hunt Wyoming "speed goats". I would go count me in!
smile.gif

My wife and I just returned from a great, two week, 2,000 mile trip to Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. We spent several nights at WyWhisper Guest Ranch. WyWisper and my intent was to hunt PDs, especially at long range (500+ yards). A cold snap and events of the 11th kind of damped the hunting. However, here is my $.02.

First and very importantly, Ric (aka WyWhisper) and his wife Dollie are just great people. The facilities are nice and the view across the valley is wonderful. Second, Cody has a really nice shooting complex with the rifle targets set in the usually 100 yard increments out to 600 yards. Steel plates are placed at 700 and 1,000 yards.(It has been years since I shot 500 yards but I can still hit the target.)Third, anyone interested in firearms will want to spend at least a half a day (perhaps much longer) in the firearms museum in Cody.Fourth, the all you can eat prime rib at The Irma is worth the $16 and making the trip.Fifth, we saw lots of game in the area.

Ric, correct me if I goofed or left something out. A jamboree sounds like a winner and Rand Creek Range has my support.

Dan, Thank you for the kind words. You and your wife are always welcome here!!!! Maybe you can make it back if this thing pans out !!! Now that you know you can shoot 3" groups with a stock factory gun at 500 yards!!!!

To all the rest, keep in mind helping out around here would entail, maybe helping cook, and prepare some of the meals. ( maybe someone has a great recipe to share ) clean some dishes etc. nothing major. BUT if you want to clean stalls and stuff you are more than welcome.
grin.gif

We ( all that would be here for the hunt )can kinda treat this place like our own hunting camp sorta thing.....just an Idea...

I did some scouting on the way back from OK yesterday and found a few areas that held quite a few nice speed goats!!! oh yeah and they were w a y, w a y , w a y out there too!!!! easily 1000 yards.. I stalked them into about 400 yards. could be real fun and interesting !!!!!

To all who are interested...shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will start making the list of perspective people.

Dan, Thank you for the kind words. You and your wife are always welcome here!!!! Maybe you can make it back if this thing pans out !!! Now that you know you can shoot 3" groups with a stock factory gun at 500 yards!!!!

To all the rest, keep in mind helping out around here would entail, maybe helping cook, and prepare some of the meals. ( maybe someone has a great recipe to share ) clean some dishes etc. nothing major. BUT if you want to clean stalls and stuff you are more than welcome.
grin.gif

We ( all that would be here for the hunt )can kinda treat this place like our own hunting camp sorta thing.....just an Idea...

I did some scouting on the way back from OK yesterday and found a few areas that held quite a few nice speed goats!!! oh yeah and they were w a y, w a y , w a y out there too!!!! easily 1000 yards.. I stalked them into about 400 yards. could be real fun and interesting !!!!!

To all who are interested...shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will start making the list of perspective people.

Ok boys, this is what I have so far... I will as some of you to drive out as we will need transportation to the speed goats....

DC and Wife
Primetime ( Sam )
Dan McCarty
Boyd Heaton
Guy
Len.....

talk at ya all soon.....

WyoWhisper

I notice that antelope tags in Wyoming are obtained through a draw and that hunters applying together as a group can't include both resident and non-resident. Also, what are the drawing odds in the hunting area you propose?

How's the fall color right now?

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts