New Jack Hammer for the 44 mag

Steve, would you say this is is a good bullet choice for a 44 mag handgun that's used for grizzly protection. I'm thinking it seems a bit light.

hammerbullets.com/product/429-cal-205g-jack-hammer/

With powder like H110 reaching around 1800 fps should be no problem. The cupped nose design of the Jack Hammer is very simple yet very effective. It will expand the nose to about caliber with 100% weight retention for deep, straight line penetration, and create a large permanent wound channel for very effective terminal performance. This is an excellent choice for personal protection or big game hunting with your pistol. For those of you who are running the 44 mag in a long gun this will still be a great choice. You can have a 1 bullet / ammo solution for both weapons. The long gun will pick up an extra 100 fps or so over the revolver with the same ammo.
Thanks for the sitrep on the bullet. I have four weapons, S&W M29, WIn M94 (1972), Marlin 444 (1970), and Ruger M77/44 I'd like to give these a shot with that bullet it sounds interesting. The Ruger's; the bottom one is the .44 mag the top is a .357 Mag... M77/357 These would give the bullet a few different twists to push through, plus riflings.

1894 Win .44 mag & S&W 6.5 inch .44 mag (2) - Copy.jpg
444 Marlin 3.jpg
Ruger rifles .22 LR .357 Mag .44 Mag 004.JPG

Steve, would you say this is is a good bullet choice for a 44 mag handgun that's used for grizzly protection. I'm thinking it seems a bit light.

You'd be surprised by how well this design penetrates, even with the lighter weight. I played with a 152gr 10mm version of this bullet and it's penetration was very similar to a 200gr WFN cast bullet. The nose profile on the Jack Hammers makes them penetrate far beyond what you'd expect from a similar weight HP bullet. The added velocity from the light weight bullet helps make up for the loss in bullet mass.

Last edited:
I think it will be as good as any pistol bullet can be. Fact is pistols bring little to the table. For example a 30-30 brings more to the table than any pistol. That said these will penetrate as well or better than anything else out there. They won't flatten out and hinder penetration. In the last ditch moment deep penetration is your best bet to save your butt.

The micro groove is 1-38" and will likely struggle to stabilize this bullet. The Ballard cut is 1-20" and will work very well.
Thanks for the setrip on your .44 bullet I appreciate it. I'm still going to give them a shot in both my early model Marlin .444 and Win 94, I'm sure they'll work just fine in the Ruger 77/44 and my M29
Cheers.