New Jack Hammer for the 44 mag

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
hammerbullets.com/product/429-cal-205g-jack-hammer/

With powder like H110 reaching around 1800 fps should be no problem. The cupped nose design of the Jack Hammer is very simple yet very effective. It will expand the nose to about caliber with 100% weight retention for deep, straight line penetration, and create a large permanent wound channel for very effective terminal performance. This is an excellent choice for personal protection or big game hunting with your pistol. For those of you who are running the 44 mag in a long gun this will still be a great choice. You can have a 1 bullet / ammo solution for both weapons. The long gun will pick up an extra 100 fps or so over the revolver with the same ammo.

I have a 16" lever gun, 240's get 1775fps, do you think I will get quite a bit quicker than this?
I use this for hogs mostly, but there are deer in the same areas, what sort of performance should I expect with these, pass through or stay in?

Cheers.

I have a 16" lever gun, 240's get 1775fps, do you think I will get quite a bit quicker than this?
I use this for hogs mostly, but there are deer in the same areas, what sort of performance should I expect with these, pass through or stay in?

Cheers.

You are getting great velocity currently. Going by Nosler data I would anticipate about 1900 fps. You may very well see much better based on your current data. The 44 mag looks to show about 50 fps change in vel per 10g of bullet weight change.

I would figure they will not stay in a deer. Pigs are pretty dense so you might stop one sometimes. My guess is most will pass through. Assuming you are running at normal pistol range.

You are getting great velocity currently. Going by Nosler data I would anticipate about 1900 fps. You may very well see much better based on your current data. The 44 mag looks to show about 50 fps change in vel per 10g of bullet weight change.

I would figure they will not stay in a deer. Pigs are pretty dense so you might stop one sometimes. My guess is most will pass through. Assuming you are running at normal pistol range.
Ok thanks, you have my attention. As I can't get ANY 44 mag bullets here in Australia other than Hornady junk, I may just order some of these 205g Hammer bullets. Where would I get load data?
I only use 296/110 in it, so that's the data I would need.

Cheers.

Ok thanks, you have my attention. As I can't get ANY 44 mag bullets here in Australia other than Hornady junk, I may just order some of these 205g Hammer bullets. Where would I get load data?
I only use 296/110 in it, so that's the data I would need.

Cheers.
That Nosler data that I linked will work well. Any 200g published data start loads will be safe. Hodgdon etc.

Loading density could be an issue with H110/W296. Top loads listed call for 120% density and that's with a jacketed bullet which is presumably shorter. I had problems with other mono-metal bullets in the 44 mag.

My suggestion would be to look at other powders that take up less case volume.

Another interesting offer from Hammer. đź‘Ť

hammerbullets.com/product/429-cal-205g-jack-hammer/

With powder like H110 reaching around 1800 fps should be no problem. The cupped nose design of the Jack Hammer is very simple yet very effective. It will expand the nose to about caliber with 100% weight retention for deep, straight line penetration, and create a large permanent wound channel for very effective terminal performance. This is an excellent choice for personal protection or big game hunting with your pistol. For those of you who are running the 44 mag in a long gun this will still be a great choice. You can have a 1 bullet / ammo solution for both weapons. The long gun will pick up an extra 100 fps or so over the revolver with the same ammo.
I'm thinking that this was primarily designed for carbine/long gun use?

My question is directed more toward the personal protection aspect of this bullet.

I tend to hunt deer and elk in areas of the Rocky Mountains that are known for big cats - 200+ pound cats, on average. I can tell you that it is an eerie feeling when you know that you are sharing your hunting grounds with a big tom that could end you quickly. I have pushed deep into some snowy, off-the-grid terrain early in the pre-dawn hours then came back that way later in the afternoon to find large mountain lion tracks paralleling and crossing my own.

What complicates this further is that my sons and I regularly take other youth hunters and hikers through this same terrain at different times of the year. I used to carry a .357 mag when I solo hunted and backpacked. Now that children are involved (far more of a prime target for cat attacks), I transitioned to a .44 Mag a decade or so ago.

What are your thoughts and expectations out of a 4" defense/protection gun with these bullets? Mainly against sizeable Rocky Mtn Cats?

Thanks!

I'm thinking that this was primarily designed for carbine/long gun use?

My question is directed more toward the personal protection aspect of this bullet.

I tend to hunt deer and elk in areas of the Rocky Mountains that are known for big cats - 200+ pound cats, on average. I can tell you that it is an eerie feeling when you know that you are sharing your hunting grounds with a big tom that could end you quickly. I have pushed deep into some snowy, off-the-grid terrain early in the pre-dawn hours then came back that way later in the afternoon to find large mountain lion tracks paralleling and crossing my own.

What complicates this further is that my sons and I regularly take other youth hunters and hikers through this same terrain at different times of the year. I used to carry a .357 mag when I solo hunted and backpacked. Now that children are involved (far more of a prime target for cat attacks), I transitioned to a .44 Mag a decade or so ago.

What are your thoughts and expectations out of a 4" defense/protection gun with these bullets? Mainly against sizeable Rocky Mtn Cats?

Thanks!
If you actually can get a shot at a cat it's probably not a threat and any reasonable pistol will keep you from getting eaten. For sure anything out of a 357, 44 mag, 10 mm or the likes will be more than enough for a cat. You just don't hear of hunters getting attacked by cats. Bears yes, but cats mostly try to eat dogs or children at play. Not adults hunting in the forest.