New in Salmon, Idaho

djbeek

Wow! I'm sure late getting the long range bug. I had a number of elk in the 500-700 yard range this year, but I was carrying my 375 ruger alaskan, a rifle that I really love but at 500 yards your talking roughly 50 inches of kentucky hold over so they walked. It was really hot and dry during the elk season this year and by the time they poked their heads out of the timber there wasn't much time to get on them. The day after the season closed it started to get cold and has been snowing ever since. Anyway it sure is awsome having this kind of resource to help figure it all out. I found a savage 111 in 300 ultra the other day for a base gun to start with and now the fun begins.

Former Salmonite here. In Boise now but hope to be moving back to Salmon in early fall '11. Can't wait to get back to my home hunting grounds. Shot my deer up there this year though let's see if you can name the location from this pic.:D

fall10013.jpg

Hello,

I'm new to Salmon also but it kind of looks like looking north from somewhere around Williams creek. I didn't even get a deer this last season. We moved here from Montana and I've got to get a handle on Idaho's regulations. It's a bit more limited than what I was used to. I didn't even think about deer till mid-November. Anyway, it's nice to meet you.

Darryl

Yeah I'm not sure I'll stick with the 300 ultra but I wanted something with a magazine box that would hold the longest possible cartridge and the fact that it is easier to change barrels is handy.

Hello,

I'm new to Salmon also but it kind of looks like looking north from somewhere around Williams creek. I didn't even get a deer this last season. We moved here from Montana and I've got to get a handle on Idaho's regulations. It's a bit more limited than what I was used to. I didn't even think about deer till mid-November. Anyway, it's nice to meet you.

Darryl

You got it! Just off of the Williams Cr road looking N. Rifle season for deer usually opens 10/10 or there abouts, archery 1/9. You can put in for an X tag and shoot a doe with a short range weapon on private land along with your buck tag. You want to see some deer? Head out to Williams Cr any evening, take a left on Corbett Ln and drive through to the Williams lake intersection looking back towards the river. Lots of deer in there, mulies and whitetails, no hunting:-(. Take your spotting scope. The neighboring properties have a lot of deer on them as well though as a consequence and those land owners are more likely to allow you to hunt since they are trying to make a living off of their land.

I know what you mean, I've been jealous of all the deer those Montanans get to shoot, a friend of mine moved to Darby after college and loves to rub his 5 deer tags in my face.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.