New in Gillette

robsev

Greetings from Gillette, WY. Moved here from SD in May. I am retired from the military, my girlfriend got a job offer here she couldn't turn down so here we are. Been kind of tough meeting people around here - they all seem real friendly, but no one seems to want to be a friend. Haven't even met my next door neighbors yet. They drive by, smile and wave, then get out of the pickup and go in the house. Really like the weather here, though. Way better than eastern SD. Joined the Gun Club and been out there a couple of times - nice range. Haven't done any hunting yet but looking forward to the opportunity. Been trying to figure out where to go and pop a few coyotes but it seems you either have to pay or compete with more hunters than coyotes.

Yea, I hear you on the coyotes. There's been a ton of people trying to get into coyote hunting in the last 10 years. 20 years ago, only us dye-hards were out chasing coyotes and a guy could hunt just about anywhere. Ranchers would even give ya references if they saw you were good at it.

I am suprised to hear that people are charging a fee to hunt coyotes however. I don't allow any on my property for the simple fact that I am selfish and hunt/call them myself here year round (if I can find time off work).

I think there are quite a few landowners that will allow prarie dog shooting without charging a fee though (I know there is here, not sure about by Gillette). Maybe check with the chamber of commerce or the WY game and fish. I bet there is a local warden or biologist in Gillette somewhere.

Best o Luck, Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Welcome to LRH! There is a minister from Gillette that is a member on here. Be careful though, he'll have you spending all your money on BIG pistols in no time :)

Thanks. Have you lived here very long? Looking forward to buying "resident" hunting licenses. I've hunted in Wyoming several times, all in the western part - a few times near Dubois and recently near Cody. I have a good friend who lives in Cody - was hoping I could find some good places to hunt closer but so far it's not looking that way. Looks like way too much private land around here.

Hey robsev, Rapid city area here, moved from Gillette a few years ago. You are right on the weather, I couldnt deal with East River weather. Coyote hunting is far more popular there than here. Look at block management for some opportuinities. For Pdogs head west to some lower elevations, they are more prevelant. I lived in Sheridan Before Gillette and that was our activity many summer weekends.

Get a hold of Mac's Gunworks, south of Gillette. Chuck will hook you up. He is a great guy, and has a lot of connections. Look him up in the phone book.

And THANK YOU for your Service.
It's people like YOU that keep us FREE!

Welcome! Glad to see another LRH'er here in Gillette, you will have to forgive Gillette people for not being real quick to be a buddy, with all of the booms & busts that happen in the oil & gas industry around here the "resident" turnover is very high; seems like you always have new neighbors..... as soon as you can score some buddies 'round here the private land issue (yes there is a bunch!) usually goes away...

If you have any questions about the area (or just wanna bs) feel free to PM me & i'll send you my contact info...

again, Welcome to LRH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.