New Hunting Rifle - Please give advice

I just bought a 300wm and my list was nearly identical to yours. I went with the Ridgeline shooting the 215 Bergers. Very impressed with how this rifle shoots.

OP I'm in same boat with you. And I don't know what to get!
seeking with no fault warranty and 10% off on Black Friday and making it harder . It will bring down price of CA Ridgeline. Is Ridgeline basically Mesa with cf barre and half a pound lighter?

Hey Guys, I'm new to this and trying to get some advice on purchasing a new rifle. I've been hunting all my life but never gotten into shooting longer ranges. I'm going to be purchasing a new rifle in the next few months and wouldn't mind some advice.

I've decided I'm going to get a 300WM because I want this rifle to be what i take on every trip and shoot everything with from antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose and maybe even brown bear.
I will be shooting from 10 yards all the way out to 700ish yards (possibly further). I've got a Leupold VX6 3x18x44 I'm going to put on it and my budget for the rifle alone is $2k.

Below is what I've found that I like and am trying to pick from, thoughts on those would be great and any other rifles you like.

Howa H-S Precision
Bergara Premier Highlander
Seekins Havak Pro Hunter PH2
Browning X-bolt Pro or hells canyon

we have Seekins Havoc 6.5 PRC very accurate sub 1/2 minute at 800 yds, this rifle is a lot of bang for your buck$$

Although not on your list, you might take a hard look at the Savage 110 LRH. It certainly won't stretch your budget, and it may be a little rough around the edges, but mine settled down after about 100 rounds and started shooting really really well. I got the accu-trig adjusted down to two pounds and away we went. Good Luck!

I would definitely NOT recommend browning. Since posting about the problems I've had with mine I've received PM's from another member having terrible accuracy as well. They look cool, and have great features, but browning doesn't seem to have the correct thinking as far as what's needed in terms of precision on a long range rifle. Call em, they'll tell you they are happy with a 1.5 MOA rifle.

I would ask what are your shooting now? Have you stretched the legs on the guns you have? It might help you decide what you like and save you from buying something you aren't happy with. I got a savage 110 that I paid 250 for that will shoot at 1100 yards with the 145 eldx.

For example I personally would not buy a 300 with a 10 twist in a custom or semi-custom. You will start chasing bc and find you will want a faster twist.

Just a thought. Good luck and happy shooting.

Yeah T3... that is why there are thousands of happy X-bolt owners shooting itty bitty groups. ALL maufacterers have lemons slip through QA. There are a great many happy Browning owners. Mine shoot great little sub1/2" groups with little fuss.
I have had many Brownings... enough that you would run out of fingers counting them...all fine weapons.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice, keep them coming. To answer a few questions that were thrown out there....

I'm planing on shooting the 215gr Berger ammunition, I don't reload myself.
I've got a Remington 700 30-06 that I do most of my hunting with and it's a fine gun but never been able to get real tight groups and looking for something capable of longer ranges and tighter groups.

I've got a 6.5cm in an AR10 that I do my coyote hunting with, it has a two stage trigger that I love. So I'm thinking I would like to have a two stage trigger on this new gun as well and would like it to be a very very light trigger. That is something I can put in afterwards if need be.

I'm going to SCI in February and most of these manufacturers will be there so thinking about waiting until then to purchase so I can put my hands on all of them.

Yeah T3... that is why there are thousands of happy X-bolt owners shooting itty bitty groups. ALL maufacterers have lemons slip through QA. There are a great many happy Browning owners. Mine shoot great little sub1/2" groups with little fuss.
I have had many Brownings... enough that you would run out of fingers counting them...all fine weapons.

I'm glad you've had good luck. And yes I'm sure all manufactures have turds. I bought one browning, and it was bad. So, I've had 100% failure from browning. BUT the point I was trying to make is.....

Get ahold of each manufacturer and find out what they are expecting, and what they (the manufacture) accept from their rifle as far as accuracy goes.

Browning is happy with 1.5 MOA, 3 shot groups. They are happy with that from a "long range" rifle. Per the OP and 700 yards, in perfect conditions browning is happy with that bullet landing somewhere in a 10.5" circle. For most game animals that's probably sufficient, but throw in a little wind and and a 10 yard error in ranging.

Why not a "Backcountry" by Cooper Firearms ?
Screenshot_20191123-183420_Samsung Internet.jpg

http://cooperfirearms.com/backcountry

Hey Guys, I'm new to this and trying to get some advice on purchasing a new rifle. I've been hunting all my life but never gotten into shooting longer ranges. I'm going to be purchasing a new rifle in the next few months and wouldn't mind some advice.

I've decided I'm going to get a 300WM because I want this rifle to be what i take on every trip and shoot everything with from antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose and maybe even brown bear.
I will be shooting from 10 yards all the way out to 700ish yards (possibly further). I've got a Leupold VX6 3x18x44 I'm going to put on it and my budget for the rifle alone is $2k.

Below is what I've found that I like and am trying to pick from, thoughts on those would be great and any other rifles you like.

Howa H-S Precision
Bergara Premier Highlander
Seekins Havak Pro Hunter PH2
Browning X-bolt Pro or hells canyon
Take a look at the bergara HMR pro

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.